p8 compass (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mike17

Recruit
Jul 7, 2021
p8 compass can anyone tell me anything about this compass it has a white bottom disc in the lower section unlike other p8's thanks
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Interesting
My Air Publication 1275 covers the P-4 and P-6 compasses but not the P-8 and yet the P-8 was very common.
Hopefully someone else may be able to assist

Interesting
My Air Publication 1275 covers the P-4 and P-6 compasses but not the P-8 and yet the P-8 was very common.
Hopefully someone else may be able to assist
Thanks for taking the trouble to check for me. any help to find out more about this compass is very welcome.Thanks.

From what I can see the P.8 was used by the RAF, RAAF, RCAF (and other commonwealth Air Forces). It was manufactured in the UK and Australia (in two locations) and probably Canada.

Hi Mike
You have opened an interesting can of worms
Are there any other markings on the unit you have? If it says 6A/726 or 1277 I am guessing that it will probably be UK made. G6A units were Australian made for RAAF and interchangeable with the 6A/726. As you can see there were at least three different versions of the P.8 though how the RAF decided to sub-identify the luminous and non-luminous is not known to me. J.129 is a CAC specification.

1626838244125.png

1626838308663.png

1626839018862.png

I strongly suspect that the compass in question , has been moded or in this case Marinized , as it is fitted with a compass "rose" used in nautical compasses
and not a "Spider " as used in aircraft. I have never seen this type of P8 fitted in an aircraft. Thats not say someone has a picture.....
Could it be used in a Crash Launch or similar ? A very interesting item.

From what I can see the P.8 was used by the RAF, RAAF, RCAF (and other commonwealth Air Forces). It was manufactured in the UK and Australia (in two locations) and probably Canada.

Hi Mike
You have opened an interesting can of worms
Are there any other markings on the unit you have? If it says 6A/726 or 1277 I am guessing that it will probably be UK made. G6A units were Australian made for RAAF and interchangeable with the 6A/726. As you can see there were at least three different versions of the P.8 though how the RAF decided to sub-identify the luminous and non-luminous is not known to me. J.129 is a CAC specification.

View attachment 633110
View attachment 633111
View attachment 633112
Hi Mitasol, Thanks for taking the time to research info about this item. On the brass plate attached to the side, it looks like it reads A. M. Then REF G6A/726. On the glass rim, it has stamped type P8. then a no. 42165 D. I will try to post some other pictures of it.
Thanks again for the interest.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
  • s-l1600 (16).jpg
    s-l1600 (16).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 42
Hi Mitasol, Thanks for taking the time to research info about this item. On the brass plate attached to the side, it looks like it reads A. M. Then REF G6A/726. On the glass rim, it has stamped type P8. then a no. 42165 D. I will try to post some other pictures of it.
Thanks again for the interest.
hi Mitasol, I have more pictures to show, on the lower side of the compass is a picture stamped on it.
It appears to be a flag with a star inside a red background. between the star it loks like Letters A. N. A.
Also some letters at the bottom.
Kind regards Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_5672.JPG
    IMG_5672.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5673.JPG
    IMG_5673.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5674.JPG
    IMG_5674.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 23
Interesting that ANA stamp. It is not the emblem of Australian National Airways (ANA) as their emblem is below. As far as I know the G6A prefix was only used for Australian made P.8's so I would expect your ANA stamp to indicate another Australian entity. If I think of anything else I will post it.
1627195747192.png

Interesting that ANA stamp. It is not the emblem of Australian National Airways (ANA) as their emblem is below. As far as I know the G6A prefix was only used for Australian made P.8's so I would expect your ANA stamp to indicate another Australian entity. If I think of anything else I will post it.
View attachment 633429
Many thanks, Mitasol,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back