Paint Conversion Chart/Database/Cheat Sheet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Does anyone know where there is a cheat sheet, database, or chart that cross references paints?

I'm starting to plan my upcoming Bf 109 Eduard Kit, but its hard to find Eduard paints here. I'd like too look up the paints from other manufacturers that equal the same color from Eduard.

Does this question make sense? 😂

As you may or may not know, Eduard paint call outs are for the very fine Mr. Hobby/Gunze paints and as you said, may be hard to find in the U.S. of A. due to lack of MSDS info. To go with Vic's awesome sheet is a searchable PDF from the what now seems to be defunct https://www.paint4models.com/ 224 pages long and 6 pages wide

Attachments

• Paint Conversion Chart 20100101.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Does anyone know where there is a cheat sheet, database, or chart that cross references paints?

I'm starting to plan my upcoming Bf 109 Eduard Kit, but its hard to find Eduard paints here. I'd like too look up the paints from other manufacturers that equal the same color from Eduard.

Does this question make sense? 😂

Chris,

The Eduard doesn't offer their own colours. These are the Mr. Color/Mr. Hobby (Gunze) paints. Either it is the Gunze C or Gunze H series. Also they attach the Mission Models Paints ( MMP ) numbers of the ready for airbrushing coats.
If you want to find the model colour conversion tables you may use the Google. There is a lot of them all around the web.

Chris,

The Eduard doesn't offer their own colours. These are the Mr. Color/Mr. Hobby (Gunze) paints. Either it is the Gunze C or Gunze H series. Also they attach the Mission Models Paints ( MMP ) numbers of the ready for airbrushing coats.
If you want to find the model colour conversion tables you may use the Google. There is a lot of them all around the web.

Yes I should have specified. The instructions call out those 2 brands.

Looks like I might have to mix and match. We'll see what the hobby store has first.

I have time. I need to finish my office first and then finish my son's Titanic after that.

I see. If you need just drop a line with colours and the brand you want. I may find their equivalents.
Wurger,
Can you suggest a model paint (aerosol) to match RLM66 gray for the Me-109F cockpit? I'm not a modeler and not familiar with their paints.

Actually there is a lot of them offred but in the bottles or jars but not in a can. These are for modellers and the plastic kits mostly. The only paint in a spray can I saw , is the Arsenal 45 RLM66 paint. But it seems to be for applying on a metal than polystyrene.

But if you would like to have the colour for airbrushing of the plastic models I would suggest the Gunze ( Mr.Hobby) paints both of the C and H series.. Their numbers are C116 and H416. But please be careful because the H series is the water based acrylic one while the C series is the acrylic one but based on the mineral thinners. Also the Vallejo 71055 paint of the Model Air series. It is a paint ready for aibrushing.

Here you are two colour chips scanned from the LW instructions published in 1938 and updated in 1941

RLM66_1938.jpg
RLM66_1941.jpg

here are the other equivalents ...
rlm66 Gunze.jpg

Found the paints a minute ago. AK has RC273, which is RLM66 for 1941 year, and RC339, which is for 1938. I've also got a bottle of Model Air from Vallejo listed as 71.055, called black grey RLM66.

If I could buy it from Europe, AlphaShirt.de has RAL 7019, which is what RLM66 morphed into late war, in regular spray cans.

Federal Standard conversion chart. FS to paint. Testors unfortunately is NLA but this chart has been helpful to me. I cannot remember the source.
The AMA article is relevant for German WWI camo and appears to be pretty accurate based on the research I did yrs ago. But there is a lot of controversy as to what are the correct colors are. And then people would tell me it doesn't tie out to the 110 year old sample of original fabric they have from when they shot down a Fokker over the Western Front. A 110 year old paint sample from an era when paint would turn a different color in days. Out in the sun. And rain. And snow.

Attachments

• AMA Jan 19850058.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • FEDERAL STANDARD CONVERSION CHART.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 9
Hello, fellow modellers, the following might be helpful.

Humbrol have an extensive Shade Chart downloadable as a pdf here:

https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.ne...-_Shade_Chart_28-11-22_Online_Version_Web.pdf

This cross-references the Humbrol Acrylic, Enamel and Aerosol paint range with a long list of other paint brands and coding systems.

Columns listed on the chart are:
Revell, Tamiya, Vallejo, AK, Federal Standard, Aqueous Color, Mr.Hobby Color, RLM, Ammo MiG, MRP, RAL, British Standard, Army Painter, Reaper Master and HEX Code.

I checked the download link as working OK today 13:00 16 Nov '23.

Hope this helps.

Andy

p.s. Can I legally post the pdf directly here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back