Paris air exposition Eiffel tower September 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17 Eiffel tower

1648033247980.png

After the fall of France and before Hitler made his triumphant entry into Paris on June 23, 1940, French resistance fighters cut the Eiffel Tower cables to prevent Hitler from viewing Paris from above; he would have had to walk up 1,665 steps to reach the top viewing platform. The Nazis did manage to summit the tower and plant the swastika, twice. The first flag was so big that it soon was blown way. the second flag was much smaller.

1648033520861.png

P-61 P-47 C-46

s-l1600.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there any info on how the aircraft got there. I've been to the Eiffel Tower and do not recall a landing strip close by. I know there is a garden behind the Tower, and the road along the Seine. I don't have a 1945 Google Map image of Paris. The second image has soldiers working of the A-20 with a missing rudder and wing, possibly suggesting it was trucked there. But that would have been a lot of disassembly and re-assembly to do this display.

Probably the aircraft was barged on the Seine to the location. But wings and vertical stabs may have had to come off due to bridges.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tower is overated. But Paris itself is incredible. People in Paris are quite different then in the rest of France. The food in the little restaurants is very nice and the i think all countries food can be found. I am not a city guy by far but feel strangly at home there. Go figure.

I had the best steak and green beans ever in the Latin Quarter. Not a word of English was spoken but everybody in this little restaurant wanted to help and through gesticulations with the odd understood English word we had a night to remember. The bright sun next morning was a bit of a problem though. Oh that French wine. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back