447th raid on dresden 19 april 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kc97

Recruit
Oct 23, 2023
I found this site looking for photo I served with walter reeves and he told me he was on b17 hells a poppin and witnessed the downing of dead mans hand he was ttg and was swinging the guns to fire as the me262 moved in but tail# 188 fired first and the fighter fired and 188 was lost now when I found that thread I thouhgt maybe some here might have photo tail #279 that would be would be hells a poppin walter has passed on but you dont forget

This is what the "B-17 Nose Art Name Directory" has. Squadron number would be helpful. The "No" means no photo known but the publication date is 1996 and I have found photos when there was a "No"

1698085020278.png

thanks for reply I have been looking for photo for a long time when I found this site I thought someone might have something I havent come across #279 was part of the711th sqd I have some info on the rest of the mission crew names and tail #s if I can help anyone just ask

Hi do you have the serial number for this bird? Any names Nick name will help, i am sure. Times dates or bases or waht ever you can think of that would help a researcher.

It will not be the first time we dig stuff up.

Dead mans hand:
Boeing B-17G-5-BO 42-31188

Delivered Cheyenne 30/9/43; Harvard 16/10/43; Assigned 709BS/447BG Rattlesden 21/11/43; Missing in Action Pirna (111m)19/4/45 with Bob Glazener, Ray Fortier, Ernie Purcifull, Seb Bucceri, Hobart Jarvis, Theo Ciernier, no wg ?, Jim Burton (7 Prisoner of War); Harry Cramer (Killed in Action); jet enemy aircraft, crashed Dresden, Ger. Missing Air Crew Report 14180. DEAD MAN'S HAND.(Last heavy bomber lost to enemy aircraft).
One of the 447th's "Century Ships", Dead Man's Hand is credited with 111 combat missions, and on its final mission had the sad distinction of being the last combat loss for the 447th and the last 8th Air Force heavy lost to German fighters in the War. media-15757.jpeg | American Air Museum

1698088465701.png

Last edited:
I have seen that photo I understand that wasnt battle damage it happened after the war thats not enough to prove thats hells a poppin they wont take my story but thats it I was hopeing some Great great grandson found some pictures and was trying to find out more a picture maybe out there but dont know anyone would like to see it it was the loyd crew cp was hathaway thanks for the help

Last edited:
seems I read a landing gear clipped the tail and maybe 279 was the last b17 issued to the 447th war is war even after the end

I have seen that photo I understand that wasnt battle damage it happened after the war thats not enough to prove thats hells a poppin they wont take my story but thats it I was hopeing some Great great grandson found some pictures and was trying to find out more a picture maybe out there but dont know anyone would like to see it it was the loyd crew cp was hathaway thanks for the help
If you can as said before plse give names.

Hi do you have the serial number for this bird? Any names Nick name will help, i am sure. Times dates or bases or waht ever you can think of that would help a researcher.

Dead mans hand:

Delivered Cheyenne 30/9/43; Harvard 16/10/43; Assigned 709BS/447BG Rattlesden 21/11/43; Missing in Action Pirna (111m)19/4/45 with Bob Glazener, Ray Fortier, Ernie Purcifull, Seb Bucceri, Hobart Jarvis, Theo Ciernier, no wg ?, Jim Burton (7 Prisoner of War); Harry Cramer (Killed in Action); jet enemy aircraft, crashed Dresden, Ger. Missing Air Crew Report 14180. DEAD MAN'S HAND.(Last heavy bomber lost to enemy aircraft).
One of the 447th's "Century Ships", Dead Man's Hand is credited with 111 combat missions, and on its final mission had the sad distinction of being the last combat loss for the 447th and the last 8th Air Force heavy lost to German fighters in the War. media-15757.jpeg | American Air Museum

View attachment 743000
My uncle Lt Robert F Glazener, link to the a/c remains in Czech Republic, www.leteckabadatelna.cz/havarie-a-sestrely/detail/107/. Hope it works for you🤞.
A W Brown. I had the model built. Last 3 photos of site debris.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1912.jpeg
    IMG_1912.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

Dead mans hand:

View attachment 743000

Map of B 17 crash sites link:
"map of B-17 crash site | B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress - The Queen Of The Skies"

when it connects you will see the German area covered with blue circles, some red. Just finger-expand and will hone in and make more sense as it represents a/c crash sites and links to data. My uncles a/c "Dead Man's Hand", 42-31188 is on border with Germany and Czech Republic . Go NNW out of Prague to Chumutov, then that same heading to a lone blue circle on the border. tap and will open that information. Amazing site that some put together. I would like to congratulate that research effort
thanks
A W Brown

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back