Stirling W7539 crashed on St Nazaire raid

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are the photographs of the two cemeteries, showing each grave. The image showing all 4 graves is a Photoshop creation I did so that I could put those heroes from that aircraft together again...

Attachments

• LaBouleCemetary1.jpg
    LaBouleCemetary1.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 28
  • LaBouleCemetary2(all4Together.jpg
    LaBouleCemetary2(all4Together.jpg
    730.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PenestinCemetery-SgtJamesTait.jpg
    PenestinCemetery-SgtJamesTait.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 31
Photoshop is a fantastic program with lots of features that Irfanview lacks but for simple cropping and resizing etc I prefer Irfanview as it has a very short learning curve and accomplishes with a few keys or clicks what takes far longer in Photoshop. I have no doubt that within a few minutes the negative image can be totally cleaned in Photoshop and that is totally impossible in Irfanview.

Using Control+R to double the image size then Control+Shift+N followed by Control+Alt+D the post from Brianwnz ends up like this in under five seconds. The handwritten text is not readable which is not acceptable but a little fiddling could probably fix that.

Photoshop could make it absolutely perfect but for the average person Irfanview is quite adequate. If the person is happy with greyscale the handwritten text is not too bad but nowhere near as clear as Photoshop.

1657881686675.png

1657882284219.png

Photoshop is a fantastic program with lots of features that Irfanview lacks but for simple cropping and resizing etc [snip]
MiTasol, I am an ex professional aviation photographer - this thread is in respect to a Stirling aircraft that crashed off Piriac in 1942, not photography. My reversal of the negative image was intended to carefully preserve the fading and age of the document.
I don't want to 'hijack' this thread... I would be delighted to discuss the pros and cons in another dedicated thread but not this one... thanks

I have produced Google Earth images identifying the approximation of the crash of the Stirling Bomber W7539, near Piriac, Brittany. Also the exact locations of the graves of four of the crew who perished. One, Sgt J Tait (Observer), in Penestin civilian cemetery and three Sgt S H Green (Air Gunner), Sgt P Harrison (Air Gunner) and Sgt R Woollard (Observer)

They may well have been on a mission to bomb the German Submarine Pens at St Nazaire.

Attachments

• GravesLaBouleCemetery.JPG
    GravesLaBouleCemetery.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Penestin-LaBoule-SaintNazaire-MAP.JPG
    Penestin-LaBoule-SaintNazaire-MAP.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • SgtTait'sGravePenestinCemetary.JPG
    SgtTait'sGravePenestinCemetary.JPG
    598.7 KB · Views: 31
  • StNazaire-GermanSubmarinePens.JPG
    StNazaire-GermanSubmarinePens.JPG