Parts of A British Bomber found in Italy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

75AC2115-3D9D-43C0-BEC9-2ED2E94CA9E2.jpeg
Been a while since I started this thread..

Today I went to visit Pilot Officer Kenneth Higson! The brave pilot who remained at the controls of Whitley N1497 so his friends could escape!

Inscribed on his stone is: 'Greater love hath no man Than This. That a man lay down his life for his friends'

Local reports stated: "The plane apparently caught fire. Pilot Higson holding the stick at the time and realising that the position was desperate, called to the crew that they were free to bail out and that he would hold the plane steady and would crash with it, which he did."
The pilot was given full military funeral by the enemy. The four survivors were permitted to attend the ceremony.

Thanks for the up-date, and glad you could make the visit.
Incidentally, in Post #20, the photo of the remains of a Bf110, wrapped around a telegraph pole, is the subject of the model I've just completed in the current Group Build (GB36) in the modelling section of the forum.
It was shot down and force landed near Barnard Castle, not that far from where I grew up, and the story of it's operation and loss is covered in the opening posts in the build thread.

Thanks for the up-date, and glad you could make the visit.
Incidentally, in Post #20, the photo of the remains of a Bf110, wrapped around a telegraph pole, is the subject of the model I've just completed in the current Group Build (GB36) in the modelling section of the forum.
It was shot down and force landed near Barnard Castle, not that far from where I grew up, and the story of it's operation and loss is covered in the opening posts in the build thread.

Wow, that's quite a cool coincidence. I'll check out the post :)

Could you send me the link to the build thread.. can't seem to find it :)

Believe it or not, I still don't know how to do a link !
However, if you go to the modelling section, and then find the 'Group Build - Official' threads, go to 'GB36 - Axis manufactured Aircraft WWII'.
You'll find the pics of the finished model in the 'Finished' threads and, if you scroll down, you'll find the complete build thread under the 'Done' title, with the title being 1/48th Bf110D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back