PBJ-1J Link (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats an interesting web site.

Combat missions in the Central Pacific after the Mariana's had been taken is one of many little known aspects of the conflict.

Glad you like the site on the PBJs. I am the webmaster of the site and have many technical drawings an information that is not on the website. Should you require any, especially on the PBJ-1H, let me know and I will see if I can get it for you.

Regards,
TopY

TopY said:
Glad you like the site on the PBJs. I am the webmaster of the site and have many technical drawings an information that is not on the website. Should you require any, especially on the PBJ-1H, let me know and I will see if I can get it for you.

Regards,
TopY

Hey that's great - it's a great site. Welcome!!!!

Regards,
TopY
Hello to all from a newbie. Glad I came across this forum, looks pretty neat.

So I'm replying to an old post in hopes of getting some information. Here's my story, sorry it's kind of lengthy.
My dad was in the Navy for the duration of WWII stationed at Sand Point Naval Air Station in Seattle, Washington. He was an amateur radio operator since about 1935. (he passed away this last August at the age of 92) Anyway, he for as long as I can remember turned his ham antenna with a device at the base of his tower. He had told me it was the turret drive motor assembly from a WWII bomber but he didn't know just what model. Since his passing and mom moving to an assisted living facility, we began the process of cleaning out their home in preparation to sell it. One task was to take down his tower and the "turret drive". So, I just couldn't throw it in the dumpster along with the unbelievable amount of other stuff without first finding out what this thing actually was. To make an even longer story shorter, I contacted the Commerative Air Force in hopes of some information. What I found is that in fact this assembly is the drive mechanism from a B-25. It's the very bottom section that drives the entire turret. They put me in touch with the Southern California wing of the CAF and as it turns out they are restoring a PBJ (Navy b-25) and are very interested in the drive unit. MY wife and I will be delivering it in person to the So. Cal. CAF sometime in January, we are donating it in honor of my Dad.

So here's what I'm looking for. My dad modified the unit by removing the original drive motor and replaced it with a small AC motor so he could use it powered by standard household AC. I'd like to get as much information, technical drawings, manuals, specs etc. as I can in hopes of returning it to its original state as best I can before we deliver to the CAF. It's a Bendix unit which is about all I know about it. I did find a photo on this forum that shows an image from a B-25 in the weaponry section and it looks very much like what I have. Anyway, any information would be very much appreciated!!

I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures of the unit, one is prior to removing it from the base of the tower. I have cleaned it up a bit and got it operating again with the AC motor.....

Thanks in advance!! Greg

Attachments

• DSC00267copy.jpg
    DSC00267copy.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC00269copy.jpg
    DSC00269copy.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3594copy.jpg
    IMG_3594copy.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 175
Hi bojiboy,

Thats a very cool and interesting story and very noble. I would love to help but Im having the same problem as you are with finding information on this topic. In fact I was going to post a message to see if any one was willing to share or upload a B-25 erection and maintance manual. Which Im hoping is where to find information about this topic.

You may find this link of interest though.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/weapons-systems-tech/b-25-weapons-thread-10766.html

Micdrow,

Thanks for your reply and the link! There is some pretty interesting stuff there. It's great fun researching this and this site has the most information I've benn able to find to date. Perhaps someone will have something yet....

Thanks!

Greg

Micdrow,

Thanks for your reply and the link! There is some pretty interesting stuff there. It's great fun researching this and this site has the most information I've benn able to find to date. Perhaps someone will have something yet....

Thanks!

Greg

Hi Greg,

I think you will find as you research the B-25 that it is a very interesting aircraft. I find myself drawn to it from time to time.

All the best
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. It is a lot of fun, more that I thought it would be. I'm like you, it keeps me coming back.....

Thanks

Greg

Welcome TopY and Bojiboy. I love the B25. I look forward to hearing more from you. My father's uncle flew B25 in the 13 AF during the war.

DBII

Welcome TopY and Bojiboy. I love the B25. I look forward to hearing more from you. My father's uncle flew B25 in the 13 AF during the war.

DBII

Hi DBII,

Awsome about your fathers uncle. I have such a great respect for those who have and are serving in the military! Thanks for the welcome. I'll post some pics when we make the delivery of the drive. Looking forward to the entire thing.

Thanks again.

Greg

OK, we've got the turret drive loaded in the trailer and are heading for California this morning. Should arrive on Tuesday. The weather should be a lot nicer there, got 6 inches of snow yesterday. I hope to be able to post some pictures of the PBJ etc. after we arrive and drop of the drive.

Happy New Year!

Greg

Attachments

• DSC00513.jpg
    DSC00513.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 179
OK, we made it here yesterday and stopped first thing at the airport to make the donation. Realy nice folks there at the CAF wing! Got the grand tour and a really up close look at the PBJ project. The head of the project is a captain for one of the major airlines flying a 777.

The first picture is of me and the Captain unloading the drive. The rest are just shots from the PBJ.

The last one is looking up at the bottom of the turret less a lot of stuff.

Greg

Attachments

• DSC00432b.jpg
    DSC00432b.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00584b.jpg
    DSC00584b.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00580b.jpg
    DSC00580b.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00344b.jpg