Pics coming next week.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys, I haven't been on here much but I thought I'd tease you all. I'm planning a day trip up to Washington, D.C. this coming Saturday. It's less than four hours from here by car so I will drive up early in the morning and drive back in the late afternoon or evening.

Anyway, the #1 item on my list of things to see is the new Dulles Annex of the National Air Space Museum. I've been to the main A&S Museum more times than I can count, but this new annex at Dulles airport I'm really looking forward to. The building itself is gigantic, designed after a German zeppelin hanger from the '30s. Inside the building are over 80 aircraft, including the re-assembled Enola Gay, a full SR-71 Blackbird, and the Space Shuttle Enterprise. (Used for glide testing in the '70s, never operational.) Also on display are an Air France Concorde, and the Dash-80 prototype of the Boeing 707.

WWII aircraft on display (besides the Enola Gay) include:
-F6F Hellcat
-FW-190
-P-40
-Hawker Hurricane
-Junkers Ju-52
-Kawanishi N1K2 "George"
-Kawanishi Ki-45 "Nick"
-Lockheed P-38J-10-LO Lightning
-North American P-51C Mustang "Excalibur III"
-Republic P-47D-30-RA Thunderbolt
-Vought F4U-1D Corsair
-Vought-Sikorsky OS2U-3 Kingfisher

I'll also be visiting the main Air Space Museum, and the new National WWII Memorial. I'll be packing my 3.1 MP digicam and plenty of SD memory cards, so next week I should have lots of pics to share.

the A hopefully (me and CC have been havaing an argument about which series was the better looking, the A or the D, i think the A, he thinks the D, but what does he know)................

Thanks. The lanc says the D looks stupid with its stretched nose and fuselage, but if you ask me the A looks stupid with its short stubby nose. And the Ta-152 looks TOO stretched. (yes i do know the advantages it gave it blah blah)

I think that it is very difficult to compare. The FW-190D is a fighter-bomber designed for combating the enemy over their airspace in hit and runs. The Ta-152 was an aircraft that so far as I was aware was able to defend its home soil against enemy air raids. Therefore it is difficult in a sense to compare them as their looks may stem in part from the differences in their rtole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back