pics ID help bf109G-10 or G-14/AS (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All G-6/G-14s used standard 87 Oktan B4 fuel. The only exception was during the introduction of the MW50 injection system when they initially used 100 Oktan C3 fuel (maybe during the introduction of the 605AS engine as well). Those aircraft were often marked with red colored landing gear. C3 was used to prevent massive engine damage by predetonation if MW50 failed while using the high boost. But the system proved to work reliable so they everted back to the standard B4.

The G-10 initially used C3 with MW50 but later standardized on B4+MW50. It could be reconfigured for C3 without MW50.

Denniss I did not know that. I was under the impression that all AS, and D engines due to higher compression, increased supercharger pressure, and the use of the MW50 specified 100 oct fuel. You could and they did use 87 but at the cost of performance loss and you could not use the MW50. Engine output on the d (I think) was rated at 2000 hp with 100 but 1850 with 87. Or is this in error.

Thanks all for the help on the ID. you gave me alot of great info.

Denniss I did not know that. I was under the impression that all AS, and D engines due to higher compression, increased supercharger pressure, and the use of the MW50 specified 100 oct fuel. You could and they did use 87 but at the cost of performance loss and you could not use the MW50. Engine output on the d (I think) was rated at 2000 hp with 100 but 1850 with 87. Or is this in error.

Thanks all for the help on the ID. you gave me alot of great info.

605AS did not have higher boost, it was a modified 605A with a larger supercharger for higher rated altitude within the boost limits of the 605A. MW-50 was acting as replacement for an intercooler and it worked as anti-detonant to allow higher boost pressures with standard fuel. The 605D could be run with B4+MW50 or C3 without MW50 to achieve 1850, later 1800, PS. The higher boosted 605DC required high grade C3 fuel with MW50.

605AS did not have higher boost, it was a modified 605A with a larger supercharger for higher rated altitude within the boost limits of the 605A. MW-50 was acting as replacement for an intercooler and it worked as anti-detonant to allow higher boost pressures with standard fuel. The 605D could be run with B4+MW50 or C3 without MW50 to achieve 1850, later 1800, PS. The higher boosted 605DC required high grade C3 fuel with MW50.

Good info Dennis, thanks for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back