Pics of Aircraft in Odd Places

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

buffnut453

Captain
Jul 25, 2007
Utah, USA
Ok folks, I've driven past this place many times over the past 3 years and it got me thinking...what are the unusual places where we've found aircraft displayed (or abandoned)?

This is ex-Army Air Corps Saunders-Roe Skeeter XN339 sitting on the roof of an Autoglas establishment in Möhringen, Stuttgart, Germany. It suffered an accident and was struck off charge in 1968 before being sold to someone in the Netherlands. It came to Germany at some point and has been sitting on the roof here since at least July 2006:

PXL_20211023_125053411.jpg

So...over to all y'all. What are the unusual places you've found aircraft?

Last edited:
You'll find something, Jeff.

A few DC-3s I've seen.

This one was part of a cafe in the central North Island of New Zealand, in a town called Mangaweka, the kind of 'blink and you'll miss it' town you drive through on the way to somewhere else, but for the DC-3, which, I've been told has been recently removed for refurbishment - it's been out there for years and despite several repaints is a bit of a mess.

51623651483_8dbbd78fb6_b.jpg
DSC_1374

How many McDonalds have their own DC-3? This is Taupo's Maccas in the centre of the North Island.

51624290775_df6b6ef316_b.jpg
DSC_1519

This DC-3 is somewhat incongruously plonked on a stage in a park in the heart of Seoul. The writing on the side of the stage offers no clues as to why or what significance the aircraft has, apart from to celebrate that it's a DC-3, but the park is used for public functions; the day I was there, there was a display of arts and crafts the public could get involved in making.

51624290820_1627e4b7a0_b.jpg
DSC_7983

This in the heart of Berlin...

48334858206_3930755204_b.jpg
Europe 261

It is the Deutsches Technikmuseum, but it kind'a stands out. The C-47 used to sit outside the big terminal at Tempelhof and I remember visiting Tempelhof years ago when it was an active airport and there was this display board telling passers by about this DC-3 that had taken part in the Berlin Airlift, but there was no aeroplane. Very odd.

Last edited:
A nice shot though. :thumbright:
Just a note .. that's not the MiG-17 but UTI MiG-15. If it is the orginal Polish made MiG trainer she can be the SBLim-1 or SBLim-2 depending on the base that was either MiG-15 (Lim-1) or MiG-15bis (Lim-2). Actually SBLim-2 was a mix of the rear part of the Lim-2 ( MiG-15 bis) fighter with the front of the UTI MiG-15. The "mixture" was powered by the Lis-2 jet engine ( licenced WK-1 one ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back