Pics of Aircraft in Odd Places

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Game time. Which aircraft are in Post #39?

1635185938176.png

1) S-2 or -3
2)F-105, possibly a D
3)CH-47?

I'd love to know what on earth is going on in this photo. I'm baffled!
When the Prague art gallery Rudolfinum celebrated its 100th exhibition, the burial of a Soviet-made MiG-21 fighter plane was the attraction.

When the Prague art gallery Rudolfinum celebrated its 100th exhibition, the burial of a Soviet-made MiG-21 fighter plane was the attraction.

AHHHH....so THAT's what the Iraqis were doing in 1991. They weren't burying their aircraft to hide them. It was a piece of art. Now I get it! :)

Constellation as Crash landing  -1.jpg

Constellation as Village Place copy.jpg

The story on this Connie began when my fellow aviation nut and I made our rounds of the airports and found this bird at Moisant (MSY) or as the revisionists call it New Orleans International Armstrong airport. We photoed it in the transit cargo area. The registration check showed it was a just sold Houston college team plane. We assumed it would be just another local cargo hauler. Further check of its history led to it being one of the first four L-049 Connies delivered to KLM in 1949. When it showed up on pedestals, it became the "Crash Landing" restaurant & bar. Many locals are still convinced it crashed on Causeway Blvd and was made a restaurant because it couldn't be moved. After the novelty of it being a restaurant wore off, the owners made into a teen disco (remember those) with neon lights all over it, including the prop blades, now named "Village Place". When disco faded and the local powers in charge weren't getting revenue, she was slowly cut up. I have the center console with trim wheels along with stainless components of the toilet and a small hatch from near the nose which gave a surprise as it was from a sister KLM ship with the registration painted on the inside. In a way, it is sorta like a kit stash--what do you do with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back