Pics of Aircraft in Odd Places

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd love to know what on earth is going on in this photo. I'm baffled!
British artist buries MiG 21 fighter jet to symbolize the end of an era
10/02/2017
The Prague art Gallery Rudolfinum is celebrating its 100th exhibition with a number of spectacular side-events; none more so than the burial of a Soviet-made MiG-21 fighter plane.

The premises of the research centre ELI Beamlines in Dolní Břežany near Prague were buzzing with activity on Sunday as workmen unloaded a dismantled MiG 21 fighter plane from several trucks and put it together again in preparation for its burial deep underground. As bulldozers brought up earth to make a hole big enough to swallow the plane, dozens of onlookers watched with a mixture of curiosity and disbelief.

The idea of taking a plane from the skies and burying it undergrownd is that of British contemporary artist Roger Hiorns, whose media is sculpture and installation, using a wide variety of materials, including metals, wood and plastics. In this case he needed a Soviet made Mig 21 fighter jet for an art concept that many people fail to understand. Rudolfinum Gallery curator David Korecký told Czech Radio that acquiring a plane for the purpose had been no easy task.

"I was tasked with such a thing for the first time ever and you would not believe how many dealers and military buffs there are who believe it is sacrilege to bury a fighter plane. It was very difficult to find people with enthusiasm for the idea."

In addition to finding a plane and getting all the necessary rubber stamps for the art project it meant getting the plane decontaminated and conserved to avoid any pollution, and finally arranging workmen to assist in its burial which was estimated to last for three days. The choice of a Soviet-made Mig 21 was made to symbolize the end of an era, a symbolic act of saying good-bye to an era of development represented by the MiG planes. David Korecký says he sometimes had trouble explaining the meaning behind the artistic concept.

"The idea behind this work is that it is a sculpture but it also involves some choreography. We all know what a plane is and what a funeral entails. But the artist turns things upside down to make us think about them, think about the meaning of our actions; machines are confronted with the man's last rites."

Hiorns has long contemplated the idea of putting planes which belong up in the air, underground. He buried his first plane in a field outside Birmingham last year and he dreams of an entire fleet of grounded planes, buried across the world.

The second plane on the road to this dream was produced in 1971 and decommissioned in 1996. The MiG-21s have been used by the air forces of over 50 countries and some of them are still in use. Over 10,000 MiG-21s have been manufactured over the years, which has made it the most widely and longest-produced supersonic aircraft - a legend among fighter aircraft of the Eastern bloc in the years of the Cold War.

Near the entrance to the Demilitarised Zone on the border between the RoK and the DPRK is this F-4.

48782046098_5338d6325b_b.jpg
DSC_7909

...And sitting incongruously in a garden park in a suburb of Seoul is this C-123.

24784394718_28f26682d5_b.jpg
C-123 i

Go a bit further and there's an explanation; Boramae Park sits on land that was formerly occupied by the RoK Air Force Academy and there's a few airframes sitting about.

24784444368_b93c252b41_b.jpg
T-37 iii

There used to be a Vultee "vibrator" derelict on the North West corner of Jerusalem Ave and Newbridge Road, near my house. Occasionally over the years my dad would take me to play on it. Never knew what it was doing there, but over the years I concocted my own plausible story. At one time most of the land north of Jerusalem was given over to lower farming and the like, so this may have been converted into a crop duster and used by a local farmer. After it became cheaper to import flowers from overseas (can you believe that!?!?!?!?!) she was just pushed to the side and left to rot. Sad.

I used to drive past this sad vision frequently when I was in uniform. This ex-92 Sqn Lightning F2A was located next to the A1 near Balderton, having been purchased to attract customers to the A1 Commercial Sales yard. The yard went out of business in the early 1990s (clearly the advertising didn't work) and the Lightning was progressively vandalized and deteriorated...although, truth be told, the airframe had been heavily abused when it was moved to next to the A1, the wings being cut off at places where they couldn't be easily re-attached (the rusty stripe near the wing root is actually sheet steel that was used to fix the wings back onto the fuselage).

xn728-balderton-990124-199901244642.jpg

With the failure of A1 Commercial Sales, the Lightning became a rather incongruous sight being the only object in an otherwise abandoned lot. Eventually the empty lot was purchased in 2005 and the new owner declared the intent to restore the airframe, a laughably ridiculous idea. Inevitably, the poor remains were chopped up in September 2011:

xn728-balderton-110909.jpg

The one bright spot in this whole sorry story is that, somehow, the cockpit was saved and restored...and now looks like this (displayed at Newark in August 2021):

xn728---jake-wallace-20210828134240.jpg

These photos, and more details about the history of XN728 can be found here: Thunder & Lightnings - English Electric Lightning - Survivor XN728 (8546M)

Last edited:
used to drive past this sad vision frequently when I was in uniform. This ex-92 Sqn Lightning F2A was located next to the A1 near Balderton, having been purchased to attract customers to the A1 Commercial Sales yard.

I remember that aircraft on my many excursions south from Scotland. Always wonder what happened to it, I'm glad they salvaged the nose. (The Thunder and Lightnings site is awesome, Damien Burke was a frequent visitor to our parts up north wanting updates on the collection...)

Possibly the weirdest place name in Iran belongs to this small abandoned island in Persian Gulf; it literally means "Captain's grave".

Interesting, Artesh. What is the story of the Captain and why was he buried on the island?

One of the longest place names in the world is in New Zealand, the aptly named Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauatamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, which is a hill in the North Island. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back