Picture of the day (general)....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20231222_164309.jpg

July 1942. "Decatur, Alabama. Ingalls Shipbuilding Company. A crane operator." Acetate negative by Jack Delano for the
Office of War Information.

Source: Internet

IMG_20231222_164812.jpg

November 1958. "Waterfowl hunting (Nevada) -- Mr. and Mrs. Stanwood Murphy of San Francisco." The man at left is
legendary restaurateur "Trader Vic" Bergeron; the DC-3 belongs to Albert Stanwood Murphy (1892-1963), president of
Pacific Lumber & Truss. 35mm Kodachrome by Toni Frissell for the Sports Illustrated assignment "Shooting: California
Waterfowl Hunting; Upland Game Birds in Nevada."

I love the stylish writing in the windows!

IMG_20231222_165734.jpg

December 1940. "Construction of Army training camps around Alexandria, Louisiana. East Side Cafe with rooms for rent,
'Soldiers Welcome,' on highway to Camp Livingston."
Acetate negative by Marion Post Wolcott for the Farm Security Administration.

Last edited:
View attachment 753329
November 1958. "Waterfowl hunting (Nevada) -- Mr. and Mrs. Stanwood Murphy of San Francisco." The man at left is
legendary restaurateur "Trader Vic" Bergeron; the DC-3 belongs to Albert Stanwood Murphy (1892-1963), president of
Pacific Lumber & Truss. 35mm Kodachrome by Toni Frissell for the Sports Illustrated assignment "Shooting: California
Waterfowl Hunting; Upland Game Birds in Nevada."

No clue why I thought about them flying right up to birds and sticking guns out the window like a gunship. I realize 1 that would be non-sense. 2 Probably not too safe.

View attachment 753341
October 1941. "Scenes in the Finger Lakes region. This diner depends on the 'truckers' for its trade. Near Cortland, New York."
The Riverside Diner, offering bunks for bros, booths for babes and knuckle sandwiches for photographers.
Acetate negative by John Collier.

I know where that is, that diner is still open, I live maybe 30 minutes from it. Good food!

IMG_20231222_192137.jpg

July 1940. "People from Florida and Georgia travel by car and truck, following the crops northward. The company store at
Camden, North Carolina, where migrants buy anything from clothing to Coca-Colas."
Photo by Jack Delano -- Farm Security Administration.

IMG_20231222_195904.jpg

September 1940. "Abandoned gold mill along Million Dollar Highway immediately south of Ouray, Colorado,
in Ouray County." Medium format acetate negative by Russell Lee for the Farm Security Administration.

View attachment 753379
September 1940. "Abandoned gold mill along Million Dollar Highway immediately south of Ouray, Colorado,
in Ouray County." Medium format acetate negative by Russell Lee for the Farm Security Administration.

that would make for a very cool and interesting house design! What is the slanted part actually for though, is it the sluice, mine entrance, living quarters?

IMG_20231222_205110.jpg

October 1939. "Georgetown, Colorado -- an old mining town in the mountains." Medium format acetate negative
by Arthur Rothstein for the Farm Security Administration.

IMG_20231222_205257.jpg

October 1939. "Georgetown, Colorado. Ghost mining town." Medium format acetate negative by Arthur Rothstein for the
Farm Security Administration.

IMG_20231222_210812.jpg

September 1941. "Road leading out of Carlton Tunnel along bed of old narrow gauge railroad on the west side of the
Rocky Mountains from Leadville, Colorado." Medium format acetate negative by Marion Post Wolcott for the
Farm Security Administration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back