Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IJA 55th division heads for Moulmein, Burma in January 1942.

55th_div_Jan_1942a.jpg
55th_div_Jan_1942b.jpg

Source: History of Showa-era (一億人の昭和史・日本の戦史 7・太平洋戦争 1)(Oct.1978)

Japanese_Conquest_of_Burma_April-May_1942.jpg

Source: Wiki

I agree but I think the Torpedo planes are Albacore's not Swordfish.

HMS Indomitable with aircraft parked on her deck..png

The aircraft are parked, almost touching; the Hurricanes in echelon up the starboard side, the Fulmars up the port side, and the Albacores with the whole of the after end to themselves. To prevent them getting adrift, they are chocked fore and aft and lashed down with wire lashings. These are so arranged that it is almost impossible to take more than three steps without tripping over one. The air has a dead, flat taste, and stinks of oil and petrol; and this smell, a sickly, cloying smell, seems to condense on to the metal surfaces of the deck and the aircraft and the tools in a tacky, black film.​
— Hugh Popham: Sea Flight: The Wartime Memoirs of a Fleet Air Arm Pilot
More details at Armoured Aircraft Carriers. I hope this helps. Excellent site.

Martlets and Swordfish, too, on Indomitable. What are those inboard ports on the Hurricane leading edge? The gun ports are about mid-span.

If you mean on the port leading edge then I suspect that it was a marking or something on the neg/photo as the leading edge inboard of the landing gear is the engine oil tank.

riders rolling with the Harley-Davidson WLAs and Thompson SMGs for a photo shoot. Snappy package all in all. View attachment 540625
This photo reminded me of the IJA's Type 93 and 97 motorcycles.

type-97-79226.jpg

These were license-produced Harley Davidsons.

Attachments

• type-97-79226.jpg
    type-97-79226.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back