Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For your viewing pleasure we have a buffet of photos. Two are aircraft in markings you normally don't see on non-American users and our third is a piece of cake with a variety of German aircraft undergoing testing. Enjoy your day. We are at the beginning of a storm here and we getting ready for work to go into it. Photos courtesy of ASISIZ and the net.

Attachments

• P-39N 42-9377 “19” of 4th Stormo Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P-47D serial 42-75971 T9+LK of the Zirkus Rosarius.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 17
  • The Fokker E.II in the left foreground is shown with Pfalz E.I serial 215:15 in the middle and...png
    292.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Todays pictures of interest is Halloween themed as in grave yards. From ASISBIZ and the TARGETCOUK.

Attachments

• Pápa Air Base in western Hungary TARGETACOUK.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Nakajima Ki 84 Hiko Dai 22 Sentai 1 Chutai W60 Kimpo Korea late 1945 ASISBIZ.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P-47 Thunderbolts in mothballs Clark Field Philippines.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 17
Followed by a trio of interesting plane shots from SEAORG.

Attachments

• F:A-18A Hornet (VFA-113 : CVW-14) flying alongside a Soviet Tupolev Tu-142 Bear A aircraft Mar...png
    549.3 KB · Views: 15
  • F:A-18C Hornet (VFA-87 : CVW-8) embarked on USS George H. W. Bush (CVN 77) over Iraq October ...png
    266.7 KB · Views: 13
  • HSC-9 .50 caliber machine gun live fire exercise September 2012 SEAORG.png
    384.1 KB · Views: 12
Todays picture comes from some reading I was doing on the IJN foray into the Indian Ocean. The picture of is of two gentleman who encountered each other over the raid on Columbo on April 5th, 1942. As the Japanese aircraft approached Columbo, Fulmers of 806 Squadron were scrambled to intercept them. During the dog fighting, one of the Fulmars of the 806 Squadron section, flown by Sub-Lt John Sykes, was shot down by a Soryu pilot, F1/c Harada Kaname. Harada was a experienced flyer, but this was his first time in combat. After the fighting was over, Harada realized he was alone and had no idea on how to return to the carrier force. He had written some notes, but was uncertain if they were accurate. His mind was made up when another A6M2b aircraft from Akagi flew up next to him assuming he knew the way home. He decided then that he would use his notes to the best of his ability to get them back safely, which he did. Sykes and Harada met in 2001 when Harada visited the United Kingdom. I thought this was a neat story and had to post it.

Attachments

• Operation C April 1942.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Track Chart of Hiryu's aircraft of the raid on Ceylon April 5th, 1942.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Sykes and Harada who encountered each other over Columbo .png
    291.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It's a good story I did not know, Viking
Thank you! I enjoy seeing what you post up for us as well I am going to post up an interesting picture of Japanese aircraft that I have never seen until last week while reading up on IJN aircraft. It's all in Japanese with no real information to speak of. I will rely on your skills to identify it if you can. Expect the photo sometime this week.

According to Hara, Izawa & Shores Harada was an ace with 9 credited kills.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Kawasaki staff confirms that Kawasaki Aircraft imported 10 DB605 engines to mount on the Ki-61-II and it would be natural to think that the Ha140 engine was a copy of DB605.

DB605 photo and manual left in Kawasaki

Source: Records of Hien Restoration (Model Art in 2018)

Here is our picture that needs more information. The other photo is also a postcard. One is from Flicker. The original poster asked for help, but never got it. The other I came across one of the Japanese sites I like to visit to see pictures you can't see in the US most of the time. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Kees Kort original of aircraft.png
    197 KB · Views: 12
  • A post war view of a Japanese Army training field with in front a row of licence built Nieupor...png
    686.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E7K and E8N in flight 1940.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread