Picture of the day. (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For You Aussies.
9th November 1937: A mason cements blocks of stone into position, carved with the names of the fallen, in the military ceremony at Villiers-Bretonneux, near Amiens. The memorial is the Australian National Memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, and the names of the 10,860 Australians who have no known grave in France will be carved on it. Completion is expected in spring 1938.
View attachment 693833
I just try to imagine the families and beloved ones [of both sides], specially those who were listed as MIA or those who has no known graves!!!

i think over the years, at least, a very small section of these brave soldiers are discovered and buried in nearby cemeteries.

may their souls rest in peace.

:pilotsalute: :pilotsalute: :pilotsalute:

The battle ship USS Arizona (BB-39) and aircraft carrier USS Langley (CV-1) at Naval Air Station San Diego, CA. Late 1920's.

013916a.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
"Dragon's Teeth" along the Siegfried line in the Saar. 1955. These were designed to stop tanks and other tracked vehicles from crossing.
I took a B & W photo that is an accidental double-exposure of this scene with General George Patton's grave marker in the American Cemetery in Luxembourg superimposed over it. Twilight Zone material for sure!

Attachments

• Dragon's Teeth - Saar- Siegfried Line 1955.JPG
    Dragon's Teeth - Saar- Siegfried Line 1955.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back