Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ripples appear along the fuselage of a US Navy (USN) E-2C Hawkeye aircraft assigned to the "Seahawks" of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 126 (VAW-126), due to the tremendous amount of torque and pressure exerted on the aircraft while landing on the flight deck of the US Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier, USS HARRY S. TRUMAN (CVN 75) 11 January 2005.

The ripples only appear during the initial touchdown impact period, and disappear as soon as the fuselage is no longer stressed.

This is why carrier aircraft airframe life is listed in both landing cycles and flight hours - with landing cycles having priority.
Coincidently both the the E-2 Hawkeye and the Lunar Module were both products of the same aircraft producer: Grumman, an aerospace company that produced many carrierborne aircraft designs for the US Navy and not renowned for their lightweight airframes.

So it was kind of ironic that Grumman would win the contract to design the LM for the Apollo program in the 1960s – there are very few "airframe" designs where the weights were calculated down to the last fraction of an ounce/milligram – perhaps the U-2 spyplane could compare?

Coincidently both the the E-2 Hawkeye and the Lunar Module were both products of the same aircraft producer: Grumman, an aerospace company that produced many carrierborne aircraft designs for the US Navy and not renowned for their lightweight airframes.

So it was kind of ironic that Grumman would win the contract to design the LM for the Apollo program in the 1960s – there are very few "airframe" designs where the weights were calculated down to the last fraction of an ounce/milligram – perhaps the U-2 spyplane could compare?
For the most part this is irrelevant. During the 60s when the space race was at it's heyday, all the major airframe manufacturers had completely different departments (and in some cases companies) that no no bearing on aircraft production, their primary purpose was to build space products.

For example, Lockheed had it's missile and space division in Sunnyvale CA., completely segregated from the aircraft divisions.

s-l500.jpg

Found this interesting photo today:
View attachment 700919
Original text explanation is wrong: British plane fuselage possibly Accra, Ghana. 1940s
The a/c has a French registration but it's a Sikorski S.43.o_O
I checked the internet and found this detailed description.
Below is the same "Baby clipper" in better days and with Norwegian registration:
View attachment 700920
Maybe somebody can add more information?

It is a Sikorski S-43, one one the five used by the french Compagnie Aéromaritime in the West Africa colonies.

I'm your private dancer, a Donkey for money
I'll do what you want me to do
Just a private dancer, a Donkey for money
And any old music will do
Deutch marks or dollars
American Express will do nicely, thank you
Let me loosen up your collar
Tell me, do you want to see me do the shimmy again?

s-l500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back