Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Patton & Zhukov 07-09-1945 Friday I can just hear George C. Scott in that scene with the Soviets.

Apparently the two men exchanged few words. According to an eye-witness present, Zhukov took centre stage on the dias and jealously guarded his prominent position and each time Patton moved, Zhukov eyed him nervously, as if Patton was going to take the limelight away from the Soviet marshal... During a drive-by of a convoy of IS-2 tanks, Zhukov turned to Patton and said "My dear General Patton, you see that tank, it carries a cannon which can throw a shell seven miles". Patton answered, "Indeed? Well, my dear Marshal Zhukov, let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I'd have them court-martialled for cowardice." Zhukov was stunned into silence...

Patton was definitely not a great thinker, but why to reveal it that so evidently? He just demonstrated the way the high officials try to determine whose penis is larger. Zhukov (also not a great thinker, actually) was just smart enough to keep silent politely in response to the ridiculous comment.

That, and Zhukov was resplendent in his jeweled battle-shorts. Shame the press never photographed him below the waist. His knees were also better looking than Patton's.

Why would that be?
1) Great thinkers are quite rare among generals. Other qualities are more important to generals - I write without any irony. And those "other qualities" Patton possessed to the fullest extent. He was a very good commander, he shouldn't be a great thinker in addition.
2) If the comment attributed to Patton is reproduced correctly, it obviously indicates that Patton was not an exception to 1). Do I need to explain in detail why?

What would you consider a great thinker to be?

A twit on a rock penning his further useless thoughts on paper? Just curious.

For the part from Patton, if true; i believe it was not ment to be of profound thinking ar sharing deep wisdom.
Patton did have a way with words too. Look up his quotes.
These if indeed spoken obviously ment to put a blown ego on his place and stare the other guy in the eye.
Patton did not want to be a thinker. Not even a great one. He wanted to command an army into battle.

But in this particular episode he behaved like an offended kid, trying to sting Zhukov (which was younger than Patton) with childish arguments.

But in this particular episode he behaved like an offended kid, trying to sting Zhukov (which was younger than Patton) with childish arguments.
I can see what you say there. And only reading the qoute, one could agree.
But. As one might know, the Soviets did try , peace onwards to bully their former allies.
By showing off there weapons, not holding their agreements. Berlin airlift ring a bell? Free elections in occupied countries etc. You know that kinda childish stuff.
Trying to bully Patton. Like a playground kid that has some new toys that are better then yours...
Both must have had knowledge about the A-bomb.
So no. I do not think Patton was childish.
Was not going to get bullied period. Supreme fighting commander, diplomatic skills outside the us army mhew..
Sending a message yes. I can see him do that.

Now. To quote where we started:

I'm not going to advocate the Soviets. But none of that has anything to do with this particular episode.
Trying to bully Patton. Like a playground kid that has some new toys that are better then yours...
Zhukov only boasted about the tanks that passed by - I cannot recognize his statement inappropriate, unlike Patton's reaction.
Both must have had knowledge about the A-bomb.
And what?!
So no. I do not think Patton was childish.
I didn't claim that Patton's behavior was always childish. I pointed out that in this particular episode Patton's arguments were ridiculous, which speaks of him as an emotional and impulsive figure, not a great thinker. Zhukov - whoever he is, and I am not a fan of him by any means - behaved more reasonably and diplomatically in this particular case, although he was also emotional. That's all I wanted to say.
Was not going to get bullied period. Supreme fighting commander, diplomatic skills outside the us army mhew..
Sending a message yes. I can see him do that.
A message about what? That the Americans do not have powerful 122mm tank guns? Zhukov knew that well enough.
Now. To quote where we started:
I have nothing more to add, I guess, I have expressed my opinion very clearly. I see no point in further debate.

Still.. my comrade you started with it. Not being able to advocate your point is dissapointing. And a tad sad.
Anything i wrote is reasearchable.
You can rip parts of what i wrote a part but still it stands proudly.
You not wanting to dicuss after posing such words might be considered typical.
Again :

Trying to smear a name and chicken out,
well.. i frown on that about a bit.
Or in more easy wording: Tssk tssk tssk.

And also

. I see no point in further debate.

Dont run.

Still.. my comrade you started with it. Not being able to advocate your point is dissapointing.
I can't even express how inconsolable I am about this.
And a tad sad.
Anything i wrote is reasearchable.
I have no idea to research everything you write here.
You can rip parts of what i wrote a part but still it stands proudly.
You not wanting to dicuss after posing such words might be considered typical.
I have already explained many times exactly how great thinkers differ from Patton. I'll try again: great thinkers are able to sting their opponents without using ridiculous arguments. This is just one of the many attributes of great thinkers.
If you have arguments in favor of Patton being a great thinker - excellent, just provide them. So far I haven't heard a single one from you.
If you want an example of a great thinker - please take a list of great philosophers, starting with ancient Greeks, as well as mathematicians, physicists, and other scientists. Do I have to provide particular names? It is more difficult with generals (or high-rank officers), but I think you can find many examples too - like the practitioner Napoleon, or the theorists Jomini, Clausewitz, etc.
Your nerdiness forced me to waste time on a completely unworthy episode, I was just surprised by the enthusiasm for Patton's words that banally presented need as a virtue.
Dont run.
Don't start a great debate over nothing.

Patton was an avid studier of history. That in itself involves a lot of thinking.
History of antisemitism, I guess? I was never interested in Patton's personality - to me he was a typical charismatic general dedicated to his profession. But I would appreciate a list of his published historical studies.

You are just a waist of space in this. I am done with you.

Users who are viewing this thread