Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The caption says that's the A-2 variant. The A-3 would be more possible IMHO. But not sure what the A-5 has in common with the pic while it hasn't been mntioned there at all.

While the idea might seem strange, is it possible that an A3 rear fuselage was attached to an A5? My reason for wondering comes from the fact that the rear antenna attachment became a post style from the A4 on.

Sorry, was commenting on the Fw190 in Post 12043.

That is definitely a sand mold, keying pin holes are visible.

There is most likely a series of photos taken so other photos might give a clue.

Agreed, I found three other photos with that particular shape in the sand mold, they all have the same nebulous caption about being pieces forged for the B-17 heavy bomber.

The initial shape is in the lower right hand corner of each photo.

*EDIT* YIKES! Pouring molten aluminum without even gloves, eye protection or even heavy clothing... again... YIKES!!!

Source - U.S. Library of Congress

Last edited:
Fw 190A 5./JG2, Beaumont-le-Roger, France,1942 ...

View attachment 501499

Bundesarchive photos 1933 - 45

Found this photo in Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Volume One 1938-1943
Caption for photo reads
"This Fw 190 A-2, W.Nr. 0269, piloted by Lt. Horst Benno Kruger of 5./JG 2. was shot down by Spitfires of 91 Squadron at 13.40 hours on July 26 1942, 10 kilometers south of Dungeness. The pilot bailed out into the sea with a broken ankle and was later taken prisoner."
Do not know how accurate this is, but for what it is worth, that's what I got on the subject. Hope it helps.It was on page 115 of said volume.

Users who are viewing this thread