Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I dont think I have ever seen this picture before.

June 4, 1942: This dramatic photo taken by the USS Hornet's photographer Bill Gibson shows all fifteen aircraft of Torpedo Squadron 8 (VT-8 ) en route to the Battle of Midway, none of these planes returned and only one man, Ens. George H. Gay was rescued. Ens. Gay was the only American to witness the destruction of the Japanese Fleet during the battle. Several F-4F fighters from VF-8 can be seen above in the distance.

9 June 1944. Hunters Point Naval shipyard in San Francisco was a critical ship repair yard used by the navy during WW2.
Here we have the carrier Intrepid on a sortie from SF after repairs were made to a torpedo hole in the hull caused during battle in the Central Pacific on Feb 14 1944. The destination is Pearl Harbor which explains the deck load of aircraft. It was packed with vehicles, equipment, and aircraft including SBD Dauntless, F6F Hellcats, C-45 Expeditors, PV-1 Venturas, and P-61 Black Widow's.

Now that's a sticky wicket to get out of !
Brrrr! Think that was the coldest I've ever been in my life, and living in the northcountry I'm no stranger to cold. Soaked to the gills and miles from the nearest source of warmth and shelter, I was hypothermic by the time they got me there. And a bulldozer isn't exactly the fastest emergency response vehicle there is.
Cheers,
Wes

One of the many tragedies of war.
June 4, 1942: At 14:30 hrs. a Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat (3-F-24) from VF-3 (USS Yorktown CV-5) lands on the USS Hornet CV-8 during the Battle of Midway. The aircraft had been damaged by Japanese Zeros and the pilot, Ens. Daniel C. Sheedy, was wounded in the leg. The aircraft landed hard causing the right landing gear to collapse and at the moment of impact the six .50 cal. machine guns opened fire killing five of Hornet's crew and wounding twenty others. (Note puffs of smoke coming from the aircraft's guns.) It is believed that Ens. Sheedy failed to cut off the gun switch before landing, however a witness stated that he noticed that the circuits for the switch had been "shot out" in combat and were therefore inoperable, and the man who first opened the cockpit noted that the switches were off. (Note: In Capt. Mitscher's report he states "Since the pilot cut the engine ignition switch after landing, it is probable that he cut the gun switches at the same time, perhaps without being fully aware of his actions.")
Ens. Sheedy was removed from the plane and personnel from Hornet noted several bullet holes in the cockpit of Sheedy's plane including two in the instrument panel. The aircraft was then pushed over the side. In the administrative report filed June 14, 1942 by Capt. Mitscher the last line states "There was no culpable neglect or culpable inefficiency on the part of anyone connected with this accident".

The second picture show crewmen on the USS Hornet CV-8 tend to the wounded following the incident.

IIRC an admiral's son was killed in this incident.

sounds like Russia

Users who are viewing this thread