Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B24s.jpg

B-24J-401-CF #42-50490 "Leevus Bee" Code: #19 (lower right)
B-24G-10-NT #42-78231 "Satan's Girl" Code: #5 (upper left)
450th BG - 721st BS - 15th AF
No photo credit available.

Sweet Pea.jpg

Sweet Pea nose art, pilot Guy Miller, center.

Sweet Pea 2.jpg

Crew of B-17 42-38078 'Sweet Pea' pose after their narrow escape on 21-Sep-44.

L-R 2Lt Guy M Miller, 2Lt Thomas M Rybovich, 1Lt Theodore Davich, S/Sgt Robert R Mullen, T/Sgt Gerald E McGuire, Cpl William F Steuck.

Swee Pea 3.jpg

This plane received a direct hit by flak over Debreczen rail yards, Hungary, on Sept 21, 1944. The pilot, 2d Lt. Guy M. Miller, of Lakeside, Calif., and Co-pilot, 2d Lt. Thomas M. Rybovich, West Palm Beach, Fla., were able to bring her back to base

Sweet Pea 4.jpg

Italy - Blasted wide open in the waist section by enemy flak, this 15th AAF Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress limped home 600 miles and with skillful piloting crash landed without additional injury to the crew.
United States Army Air Corp

Bataan Avengers.jpg

Joseph Jordan, tailgunner, is sitting on top of the turret. This was taken soon after the St. Etienne mission on May 25, 1944, where the aircraft was listed as missing, when they actually had suffered severe damage and diverted to Corsica. The people in the photograph are those that were not lost on this raid. On the back of the photo are the names of the survivors.

"What was left of Bomb Group 9"
Tommy - 2nd Lt. Frederick L. Tompkins, 0-690408, Pilot
Butts - Sgt. Robert O. Butts, Jr., 33553787, Left Waist Gunner
Fram - Sgt. Roger C. Framm, 19206441, Lower Turret
Ray - S/Sgt. Elmer R. Cutsinger, 38200294, Radio Operator
Merkle - Sgt. Carl F. Merkle, 19090034, Right Waist Gunner
Tex (Joe) - Sgt. Joseph A. Jordan, 38341267, Tail Gunner

"Missing"
Fred - 2nd Lt. Fred E. Letz, 0-699203, Navigator (Evaded)
Smitty - 2nd Lt. Paul H. Smith, 0-696292, Bombardier (KIA)
Smokey - S/Sgt. Harold L. Bolick, 39268736, Upper Turret (Evaded)
Rodey - 2nd Lt. Earl E. Rodenburg, 0-700368, Co-Pilot (POW)

No photo credit available.

Always liked the term "Meat Wagon". First heard it when I was a kid watching Saturday Night Live. They had a fake commercial about a toy slot car set and when one of the cars crashed they had an ambulance come out to take the driver to the hospital...only they called it the meat wagon. Funny. You had to be there I guess...
Yup! I remember seeing that on SNL. I laughed my butt off! I think the slot car that crashed and burned was a Ford Pinto that had gotten rear ended. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back