Pictures of Cold War aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A B-52 taking off during a alert, well, 12 of them plus 12 tankers all getting airborn in whatever was the specified time was pretty noisy .
At Seymour Johnson AFB our barracks was about a mile from the SAC ready pad.
Whenever they had a alert, if our windows were up (no AC) we had to yell at each other , and still could only guess at what the other guy was saying.
I been at a airshow where a Harrier performed, and 3 times I've watched the Thunderbirds, They were pretty mild compared to those alerts.

Then you had to wonder " is this just a alert, or the real thing?" for a few minutes.

A B-52 taking off during a alert, well, 12 of them plus 12 tankers all getting airborn in whatever was the specified time was pretty noisy .
At Seymour Johnson AFB our barracks was about a mile from the SAC ready pad.
Whenever they had a alert, if our windows were up (no AC) we had to yell at each other , and still could only guess at what the other guy was saying.
I been at a airshow where a Harrier performed, and 3 times I've watched the Thunderbirds, They were pretty mild compared to those alerts.

Then you had to wonder " is this just an alert, or the real thing?" for a few minutes.
I agree Buff's on water will ROCK THE HOUSE, but they ain't got nothing on the BONE! And with only two engines I'd say the F-111 in AB (Reheat for our British friends) will drown out a Buff. I worked D and G's at Andersen and had the misfortune of try to work on one next to one doing an eight engine water run right next to us. Yeah we had to leave and come back later.

Last edited:
OK so were talking noise and I'll add air cracking, ground and building shaking. 9 English Electric Lightnings taking off in tandem, wheels up, full reaheat (AB to our American friends), vertical climb to about 30,000 feet and spiraling as it reached higher. The 56 Squadron Firebirds display team take off process 1963 season. :thumbright: :(

OK so were talking noise and I'll add air cracking, ground and building shaking. 9 English Electric Lightnings taking off in tandem, wheels up, full reaheat (AB to our American friends), vertical climb to about 30,000 feet and spiraling as it reached higher. The 56 Squadron Firebirds display team take off process 1963 season. :thumbright: :(
Now I would have loved to witness that! My goodness I do love that airframe.

blog-gyrodyne-qh-50-dash_mg_0499.jpg

My bad had to blow it up, only six chicks in the pair tree, but there are nine nest. Remember driving by Barksdale's "Christmas tree" as the alert pad was known (military humor in there somewhere) and nine buff's loaded with ALCM's loading down the wing racks. At Andersen we only had four planes on alert and as they were D models, they were just loaded with big bang theory items, free fall BIG BANG. No Christmas tree. One night we were done early in the Doppler shop and asked the line chief if we could go on standby. He says hold on, gonna have an alert run soon, if no issues than after that.

About thirty minutes later, sure enough the horn goes off and the crews come racing down to the pad.

Plane closest to the runway (#1) blows the carts and starts to taxi and than shutdown while crew emergency exit as fuel dumps from the plane. Next (#2) can't get started while there's ready to taxi but can't due to another fuel leak on #4 which breaks down infront of 3.

They let us go at 0300, never had anything to do but watch all the pandemonium.

Oh the joys of being a SAC trained killer.

My bad had to blow it up, only six chicks in the pair tree, but there are nine nest. Remember driving by Barksdale's "Christmas tree" as the alert pad was known (military humor in there somewhere) and nine buff's loaded with ALCM's loading down the wing racks. At Andersen we only had four planes on alert and as they were D models, they were just loaded with big bang theory items, free fall BIG BANG. No Christmas tree. One night we were done early in the Doppler shop and asked the line chief if we could go on standby. He says hold on, gonna have an alert run soon, if no issues than after that.

About thirty minutes later, sure enough the horn goes off and the crews come racing down to the pad.

Plane closest to the runway (#1) blows the carts and starts to taxi and than shutdown while crew emergency exit as fuel dumps from the plane. Next (#2) can't get started while there's ready to taxi but can't due to another fuel leak on #4 which breaks down infront of 3.

They let us go at 0300, never had anything to do but watch all the pandemonium.

Oh the joys of being a SAC trained killer.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry, but it did bring back grumpy memories of my alerts in our little RAF Fighter Command in the 60s. :lol: :lol: :thumbright:

Members of a U.S. Air Force combat logistics support squadron wearing nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) protective
gear wait in a simulated shelter during a mock attack, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Arizona, 2 April 1984. They
are repairing damaged B-52 Stratofortress aircraft during Exercise NIGHT TRAIN/GLOBAL SHIELD '84.

members-of-a-u.s.-air-force-combat-logistics-support-squadron-wearing-nuclear-biological-and-c...jpg

A high explosive round from a battle damage infliction gun tears through the left wing tip of a U.S. Air Force B-52
Stratofortress aircraft, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona, 2 April 1984. The aircraft will be repaired by members of a
combat logistics support squadron during Exercise NIGHT TRAIN/GLOBAL SHIELD '84.

a-high-explosive-round-from-a-battle-damage-infliction-gun-tears-through-the-left-wing-tip-of-...jpg

Oh how that brings back nightmar, er er er memories! Spending what seemed like days in MOP4 and simulating deployments by going to the end of the runway and eating box lunches, working hard all night playing Risk in the back of BombNav shop. Running to the big hangar for simulating bomb shelter (like you're gonna hide from inbound nukes).

Oh the night, (damn it auto spell check) memories!

Best part, really worst part, are all are shots of B-52D's which had just recently been retired from the force. I hatted seeing them destroyed but it's all part of the circle of aluminum. Today an aircraft of respect, tomorrow a six pack of Budweiser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back