Of course the USA and UK for example, weren't communist dictatorships but the argument you make is that the Soviets didn't want to upset the government, so for example could we assume that the Americans deliberately didn't mention about many of their losses? Maybe they were trying to make themselves sound better, and so if they lost a plane there's a high chance they wouldn't document it. If this is true, then every single aviation book which analyses victories and losses is completely wrong. For example, Genda's Blade.
28 May 1945
N1K2-Js vs P-47N over Kyushu
N1K2s claim 4 P-47s while P-47s claim 7 N1K2s. Up until now I only found a damaged P-47 and four N1K2s lost but if loss records are unreliable then maybe four P-47s were shot down and they just weren't documented.
5 July 1945
N1K2s were credited with 1 P-51 and even though I can't find a corresponding loss, we can assume that it's real because people lied to government about how many aircraft were being lost?
Of course the USA wasn't ruled by a dictator, but we could say that maybe American military personnel wanted to make themselves sound better for pride so they deliberately left out losses in their reports
The point is that simply just saying one country was reliable and another wasn't is quite silly and I believe I know why people like to say this for Hartmann.
People are often very impressed with Hartmann's "352" because it's a huge number and it sounds cool for someone to be that good. They don't like to hear the facts because it ruins this image of the pilot they have in their head.
Genda's Blade is not a primary reference. Primary references would be mission departure records and mission debrief records, preferably from both sides. Someone's collected memoirs are not a reference. They are, instead, his or her opinion. The Japanese were quite serious about NOT keeping aerial victory records for individual scores. About all we have for them are individual memoirs, so Japanese aerial victory lists are ALL suspect.
I have a very nice aviation library. The only things that might be construed as references for victories instead of opinions are books by Frank Olynyk, Christopher Shores and Clive Williams, and the like. And they do not address Axis victories at all. What I have seen for the Axis side are claims, not vetted lists. I have posted my claims list in Microsoft Excel in this forum on several occasions, one in a sticky thread. I already did all the work to get them into a readable format for all to see.
I DO have some references for the aircraft themselves, but few for aerial victories. Books like "General View of Japanese Aircraft in the Pacific War" from 1946 (Nippon Gubyoki No Zenbo) and "Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War" from 1970 (Francillon) are gold mines for the specifications on Japanese Military aircraft of WWII but they don't mention aerial victories.
I'll not get into the accuracy of US and British records versus Soviet records with you or anyone else. Opinions vary. Having interfaced with several Russians, a couple of which were formerly VVS MiG pilots, I can say I'm not overly impressed with the accuracy of Soviet records. You opinion may vary, and that's OK.
Look, guy, I'm not saying your posts are wrong. I'm saying that nobody in here other than personal friends will take your word for outlandish claims that smack of personal bias or moral outrage without VERY good references that specifically back up the claims. And, if they exist, then they would have come up by now, considering I have been around this forum for more than 15 years. So, citing a reference that only you can find or only you have ever seen will not very likely work.
We all know there was overclaiming, very much done in good faith. There were a few "glory hounds," to be sure, but they are the exception, not the rule. I also have a great deal of skepticism about victories until we can agree on exactly what a victory was.
Suppose someone, OK ... maybe a German, got their fuel line shot out and force-landed in a field unharmed. Later, a Luftwaffe mechanic was sent over and fixed it. Said pilot then climbed in and flew back to base. He was 1) actually shot out of the fight and 2) went down, but 3) the aircraft was repaired and flew again with the same pilot. As far as I'm concerned the guy who shot him down got a victory. But, that "victory" would never make the list of admitted losses. So, an armchair quarterback 80 years later makes the case that it was not a victory since the loss never showed up on the German loss list. Poppycock. It WAS a victory for the guy who shot him out of the fight.
Or maybe he should have gone down and strafed the airplane and pilot so it was a total loss and a dead pilot? If he did, did he enjoy it so as to be considered "disgusting?" And, if he did, then he abandoned his mission for personal glory of the kill? Does that make him a good pilot or one who abandoned his mission in the heat of combat? This can turn into a real can of worms without a lot of difficulty in doing so.
I say he got a victory and move on. Also, many German records were lost in bombing attacks during the war and we do NOT have complete German records accounting for everything that happened, good or bad.
Since I seem to be rambling, I'll stop.
Cheers.