Plan Me-410B. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are talking about 1941.
I'm not sure what that has to do with 1944.
The Luftwaffe raids on Liverpool involved more than 600 bombers. Many Luftwaffe crews flying at that time were men like the man you cited above. British GCI radar didn't cover Liverpool or Northern England. There were few radar equipped night fighters to be vectored with the radar. AAA was not as effectively aimed or controlled as it was in 1944. Luftwaffe guidance systems were ineffective in 1944.......I could go on.
Cheers
Steve

How did Luftwaffe night fighter pilots find their way home during 1944? How did Ju-88s find Bari, Italy during December 1943 and then fly home in the dark?

How did Luftwaffe night fighter pilots find their way home during 1944? How did Ju-88s find Bari, Italy during December 1943 and then fly home in the dark?

Going home was relatively easy, they did have beacons and optical aids to help them home. Many did not land on their home base anyway.
Finding the target was altogether more difficult. On 20/21 January 1944 nearly 450 bombers took off to bomb London. Less than 10% actually did so. Bombs and incendiaries were scattered over the home counties (the counties adjacent to London) mainly but not exclusively, those to the south, Surrey, Kent and Sussex. Only about 30 tons fell within the Greater London area, which is itself considerable, about 500 square miles at the time. London is less than 150 miles (a lot less in some cases) from the bases used by the bombers.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back