Please help identify this Smith & Sons Cockpit Clock

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BjornNils

Recruit
Jan 8, 2022
Hello everyone,
Disclaimer: This is my first post. I've read the site rules, but please let me know if I've done something wrong!

My name is Nils. I have been asked by my grandfather (a lifelong clock expert) to help identify a wonderful old Smith & Sons cockpit clock. I simply cannot find one that looks quite like this. I've seen many models that look quite similar, but I have not seen one with Roman Numerals. I'm not sure of the significance of this. Pictures attached.

My grandfather received this clock in 1952 by a good friend, a naval technician. It used to sit in a J26 Mustang North American P51 aircraft in northern Sweden.

The serial number on the back is 131752.

Does anyone have any leads on this? I'd love to find out more information about this, for example model number, manufacture date, etc.

Thank you so much! Great community you have here :)

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    866.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
It appears to be a civil version of an Air Ministry clock 6A/581 type III used by the RAF ,RAAF,RCAF.

It has no military markings such as the stamped Kings crown on the back of the case along with the part number 6A/581.

They are LeCoultre movements, it could have been fitted to any civil aircraft of the mid 30s onwards, also used in High End/Sports Cars.

It appears to be in very nice condition. As far as it being fitted to a P51, they normally used the smaller American 2 3/8th inch clocks of the A6 - A11 Type.

Regards Mike

Attachments

• 6A 581 OXFORD.jpg
    6A 581 OXFORD.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 43
Hello you might like to look and read my post about a Smiths Cockpit clock, i was told some time ago the "MA" in the name is for MOTOR ACCESSORIES , also as above used in high end cars, Rolls, Bentleys, could have been late 1930s, maybe late 40s early 50s, my thoughts are late 30s to me what also gives in away are the Roman numerals, the mounting screws at the back is a typical car clock fitting in vintage cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back