WW2 Plane Clock ID help for new member enthusiast please 😊

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

elaine

Recruit
Apr 30, 2023
Hello there! My young daughter and I are new enthusiasts and love this forum as learning so much!

I have bought what was positioned as a "WW2 VINTAGE AIR MINISTRY SPITFIRE 8 DAY COCKPIT CLOCK 6A/1104 MK II C TICKING[/H1]" as a gift and I just wanted to check if it was so it's not a disappointment to the recipient.

I've tried googling but to no avail - any guidance would be appreciated and also I'm looking for a horizon for a spitfire if anyone knows where I might find one - thank you so very much

Pics from the seller attached
Elaine 😊🌻

Attachments

• 889BDD23-83AB-44F5-8EA5-9E5FB5273191.jpeg
    889BDD23-83AB-44F5-8EA5-9E5FB5273191.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 5F532A4F-FD1F-4CEC-A023-9CFEE05C14E4.jpeg
    5F532A4F-FD1F-4CEC-A023-9CFEE05C14E4.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 30
  • EE020415-3F6D-49FD-8315-26ED0A01BD60.jpeg
    EE020415-3F6D-49FD-8315-26ED0A01BD60.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 460EC7A6-E7E2-4252-8345-DF6119D7B016.jpeg
    460EC7A6-E7E2-4252-8345-DF6119D7B016.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 30
The RAF 8-day clock Mk IIC Ref: 6A/1104 - luminous, specification: G.420 could be used for Spitfire, Hurricane and other British planes. There should be stamped serial number below the "8 DAYS" inscription on the dial. The two last digits indicate the year the clock was made in. Is that 10406/42 or something like tha, for instance?

The clock of 1940 ...

clock.jpg

the source: the net.

Ah, I see that you managed to start a thread. I hope one of our spitfire experts will chime in, soon.

Yes!! Thank you so much … but then I couldn't find how to reply to your message lol … I am not very tech literate 😊🙏. I'm so excited that people are being so knowledgeable and kind! Elaine

Last edited by a moderator:
The RAF 8-day clock Mk IIC Ref: 6A/1104 - luminous, specification: G.420 could be used for Spitfire, Hurricane and other British planes. There should be stamped serial number below the "8 DAYS" inscription on the dial. The two last digits indicate the year the clock was made in. Is that 10406/42 or something like tha, for instance?

The clock of 1940 ...

View attachment 718542

Thank you so much! I'll take a good look! Elaine 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh that's good to know! I'm so excited! I actually bought my friend a compass positioned as a spitfire compass but it was from a Lancaster - (I should have researched sizes!) but it's an absolutely beautiful thing & my daughter was thrilled with seeing it (with care lol as I believe they had Radium in them to make them luminous) thanks for commenting!

For the Artifical Horizon, you might start by looking for type 6A/1519. I'm more of a DH Mosquito guy but I think these were used on Spitfires as well. I'm not sure what Mark Number you will need though (Type 1B?) but they probably had several differnt ones, depending on which model of Spitfire you are talking about.

I just received the clock … she's tiny and very beautiful and I took her to a watch / clock repairer so I could learn how to wind without stressing / overwinding it .. some years since I've had a watch / clock that needs winding …. the tick is gorgeous to listen to lol 😊🌻

The clock of 1940 ...

View attachment 718542
Hello there from very rainy England!

Help requested again from you amazing fountains of knowledge!

I am gifting this to my partner - a WW2 aircraft enthusiast and total beautiful geek - it's a surprise.

Im mounting the clock so it can be appreciated and come to no harm. Im keeping it completely true, no retouches or alterations as it's beautiful and all the little dings and scratches are a reflection of its life and use. Im mounting it just so it can be wound easily and so it can be loved and used.

On the mount i want put a plaque stating what it is, it's history - but I'm not sure what I should write & if I can find out any more of its history for example what plane it came from?

It says on it
MKII C
S.S & S
Ref number 64/1004
187/40

I wondered what I should include from the above and what they mean - from the help from
Mr Wurger 187/40 means it was from a plane of 1940 but what do all the other lines and digits mean?

Appreciate your help and also what you think a fitting plaque might say - I want to be super respectful of this beautiful thing and do it justice 😊

Thank you so much ! Elaine
IMG_8441.jpeg
IMG_8442.jpeg
IMG_8443.jpeg
IMG_8445.jpeg

Hello again,

To answer your question ...

the info plate can be

The WW2 RAF 8 Day Aircraft Cockpit Clock Mk.IIC
manufactured by the S. Smith & Sons, London, 1940
the RAF Ref. no. 6A/1104
the serial no. 187/40
used for Spitfire, Hurricane and other WW2 British planes.

PS. As I mentioned that above it can't be stated what a particular plane it was used for. Mostly because of the number of the aircraft made during the war and also because no records that could associate the clock with any particular plane. Because the clock was made in 1940 it means that any of the British planes used at that time and later could have it in the cockpit. So the general statement has to be enough and correct.

I hope I have helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back