Please help me! I have a propellor in my attic? Where is it from? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brechunec

Recruit
Nov 14, 2011
Hi all...

Firstly please except my apologies if this question is in the wrong part of the forum! Also, i'm new to all this.

A few years ago i was left a proppelor by my late grand father! untill now i've not really thought about it.
Would it be possible for someone to identify the aircraft it was from?

it has been fitted with a barometer!

my Nan tells me its from my grandads father! and she says its from a spitfire? but i just think she says this because its the only aircraft she knows!

I have pics.

Many thanks in advance.

Pete.
proppelor 008.jpg
proppelor 005.jpg
proppelor 003.jpg
proppelor 004.jpg
proppelor 009.jpg
proppelor 006.jpg

It might have been for early Spitfire Mk.I or Hurricane but can't see the shape of the prop baldes. ALso these placards aren't too readable. Is it possible to see better shots of these. Additionally a few details more would be welcome e.g.. its diameter.

thanks for getting back to me.

i'll measure and get more info! give me a little time

pete

More info will be good.
Here is an image of a reproduction Watts propeller as fitted to the aircraft Wurger mentioned.

watts_repro.gif

Look familiar?
Cheers
Steve

Here are some more pictures! i got it from the attic.
Height - 7ft 4in (2m 24cm)
width at centre 9 1/2 inch (24cm)

proppelor 2 011.jpg
proppelor 2 013.jpg
proppelor 2 018.jpg
proppelor 2 a 019.jpg
proppelor 2a 001.jpg
proppelor 2a 021.jpg
proppelor 2 007.jpg

7'4" is much to small for a Spitfire I'm afraid. The 'Watts' two bladed propeller on the early MkIs had a diametre of 10'8" and I doubt the prototype ever had a propeller more than three feet smaller.
Cheers
Steve

yes! from my own research i thought it was to small for a spitfire! but i couldnt find another that looked the same, so i couldnt find out what aircraft it was from?

cheers

pete

Now it can be seen clearly it is neither for Spitfire nor Hurricane. Also I agree with Stona the diameter is not enough for both of these aircraft. It looks like it was for one of small training planes.

what type of aircraft? do you have any pictures or know of any websites that can provide pictures as i'm curious!

There's a number of propellor anoraks over at the Key Publishing Historic Aviation Forum, however do yourself a favour and get some sharper views of the inspection stamps ready first.

My guess would be it was fitted to an Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah X off an Oxford; it looks very similar. We had one of these in a propeller workshop I worked in once and I got a good look at it.I think it's too big to be off a Tiger.

Looking closely at the shot with the numbers, the bottom one 'D' indicates the diameter of the prop disc and after it is a '7'. Above it looks like a 'C', with an 'X' at the end. Could be 'Cheetah X' Aircraft props of this vintage rarely had the aircraft type, but most had the engine type stamped on them. Other numbers that appeared included propeller pitch angle, left or right hand as the direction it turns, the company code that made the prop, production batch number and drawing number to which the prop was made, usually stamped as 'DWG' or 'DRG' No. These details could be found on most, if not all wooden British propellers from the Great War on.

I hope this is helpful.

:)

Last edited:
Thankyou all for the info! you've managed to tell me more in a few sentences than i found looking on the internet for hours!

as you can see on the one plate, the markings have been rubbed out (purposely)? it crossed my mind that it may of been stolen?

thanks all again

pete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back