Pledge (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, and a warning to US users, the bottle below is NOT the droid you are looking for. Labelling is very similar but it clouds clear parts and dries almost powdery.
964c0dee-1e49-4425-96fd-1f06ff5a81d2_1.868cbebeec7eaa67b72479aa8f5a3da0.jpeg

I've seen that stuff and it is not the same formula. I use the older type that is still imprinted, on the label, WITH FUTURE SHINE.
My very first bottle is well over 6 years old, is half gone and still crystal clear. I have a reserve bottle still factory sealed and kept in ziplock freezer bags. Still on Ebay from $13 - $15 USD per bottle
s-l500.jpg

The formula has changed, but the results are identical. I have been using the new stuff with no issues, both to seal paint prior to applying decals and as a dip for clear parts. Lots of folks out there have done rather extensive comparisons (too much time on their hands LOL) between the "old" formula and the "new" formula. I speak specifically about the US marketed ones here. None of their comparison tests showed any difference in application or results. Search YouTube for "Future" and you will get a bunch of hits. One guy has a model he clear coated with the newer formula over a year ago and no silvering of decals and shine is still there.

One thing I did hear a lot of in watching those and reading them, don't dilute or thin this stuff with anything or you will have unpredictable results. Seems to work best used neat right out of the bottle.

Once completed and painted, I spray just about the entire model with straight Future. Since most military colors are flats they do not make a good base for decals. Once the Future is set (2 days) I apply decals with the Micro- products. Once dry (1 day) the entire model is sprayed with 50 - 50 Future and Tamiya flat acrylic clear. This seems to blend everything together and gives a finish between flat and satin. The B-29 was painted with a gloss Aluminum acrylic so I did not use the initial Future spray as I already had a smooth surface for decals

Robert already posted pics of my B-29. Check out the Vulcan Bomber thread post #27.
I used Tamiya's TS-17 a lacquer rattle can spray. As the B-29 was so large the 100 mL can seemed a good buy and I wanted a gloss. The acrylic aluminium bottle paint is a flat

Dupli-color is an automotive ENAMEL paint which as he stated takes a LONG time to fully set. The outer layer sets, thus the "feels dry" but the underneath paint is still setting and that takes increasingly longer as the carrier solvent has to get through the outer "dry" layer.
Personally I would not use it

As you can see the Enola had a highly polished aluminium finish, but Aluminium oxidizes in air unless coated with a clear coat so I suspect that the Enola had been buffed to reflect the blast heat/light. I can find no pics at Tinian that clearly show the grey though this one seems to suggest its presence.
My kit was the Revell kit "Humpin Honey" though parts were included to make the Enola if you so chose to do so.
Try Tamiya's gloss Aluminium rattle can and see what you think. If you really want that mirror finish go with Alclad though it is a PIA to get right. Like all gloss-types ANY imperfection is glaringly obvious
EnolaGay.jpg
little-boy-pic2.jpg

Yup that is what keeps me from messing with the real gloss aluminums I know they show everything! And I have cats, its a royal pain to keep cat hairs out of my paint even though I vacuum and dust the area then drape a plastic tarp over it while it is drying. Those little hairs are like magnets to wet paint!

I've seen that stuff and it is not the same formula. I use the older type that is still imprinted, on the label, WITH FUTURE SHINE.
My very first bottle is well over 6 years old, is half gone and still crystal clear. I have a reserve bottle still factory sealed and kept in ziplock freezer bags. Still on Ebay from $13 - $15 USD per bottle
View attachment 366621

I have the stuff that Mike has pictured. Only for dipping canopies though since I've found Alclad Aqua Gloss to be a better clear coat for me. For anyone that is interested in Aqua Gloss, the stuff is milky white in the bottle but sprays on clear.
aquagloss.jpg

Classic example of YMMV, I know a whole bunch of folks using the stuff I pointed out with no ill effects and all the benefits of the "previous" formula. I do know the stuff in Europe is different because of some law changes there. But the stuff I buy here in the US at less than 5USD a bottle is just fine. As we all know the only real reason folks ever used it in the first place was not that it was superior to products like Alclad clear shown above, but that by ml it is way cheaper and gives at least as good a result.

The Alclad shown above is acrylic but: Note the warnings writ clearly on the side panel: Adequate Ventilation...Avoid prolonged inhalation. You see nothing like that on Future. Also note price $7.49 plus $2.99 shipping AND nowadays possibly state sales tax. That works out to $68.86 for 32oz about 10 times the cost of Future. At that price it had better be a super-duper-pooper gloss klear coating and take me to dinner

I was just offering an alternative to those who cannot find Future or want to try something else. $8 at my LHS for 4 oz of Aqua Gloss compares very favorably with the $3-$4 per 0.75 oz for Tamiya Clear or around $6 per 1.75 oz for Testors Glosscote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back