Pledge

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

turbo

Staff Sergeant
Jan 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hello to the North American members! Quick question about SC Johnson Pledge. Is it the same as future? I'd heard the formulation has changed and it's no longer good for modeling. A quick answer from any members online would be greatly appreciated as in walmart now!

In the UK, Johnson's Klear (Future) changed a few years back to Pledge with Klear, and as far as modelling goes, is as useful as t*ts on a fish !
It makes a great floor polish though,

Not as good as it use to be but I still use it. The new formula does not give the slick shine over flat paint for decaling like it use to, but it still works very well for coating clear canopies to hide minor imperfections as well as protecting them from fogging when using solvent or CA glue.

upload_2017-2-17_10-15-54.jpeg

A few years back when I was getting back into the hobby, I was asking the same thing and was able to find a bottle of Pledge with Future Shine at Walmart that is supposedly the same formula as the old Future. Not sure they make it anymore. I didn't particularly like it as a clear coat so now I use my supply to dip canopies into. If you can't find Pledge with Future, Alclad Aqua Gloss is a much better gloss coat and it can be used to make clear parts more shiny and clear like Future.

Review: 6 NEW PRODUCTS FROM ALCLAD II | IPMS/USA Reviews

The new stuff is called SC Johnson Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish.
I just used it on my p40 as a clear coat and I thought it worked well. No trouble with the decals using microsol/set. It's a bit glossy but that's ok as I was going for more of a factory fresh look. I'm a beginner modeler though so take that for what it's worth.

Here is an Amazon link: Amazon product ASIN B000ARPH4CView: https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pledge-Floor-Multi-Surface-Finish/dp/B000ARPH4C/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487868244&sr=8-1&keywords=pledge+floor+finish

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I started using the relatively new Humbrol Gloss Clear a couple of years back, and it works exactly as the 'old' Future / Klear used to, both for clear coating and dipping transparent parts, but it's a 'true' acrylic varnish, rather than a floor 'wax'.
It's now also done in matt and satin, but I found that the matt version dries with a milky, patchy finish, despite various ratios of thinning or using 'neat'. So I've reverted back to adding Tamiya Flat Base to the Clear, to make matt, satin, semi-gloss etc etc.

Bear in mind that the only advantage that the Johnson's Future / Klear had, was that it was a lot cheaper, for a large bottle, than modelling products - those people who are foolish enough to but the original Johnson's product at grossly inflated prices are missing something !

DSCF0001 (3).JPG

I am using the "new" formula with no issues, and have read of many others also with no issues. Anyone willing to pay such prices for the older formula is deluded. As mentioned above the whole reason for using it in the first place was to save money. Not that it was a magic fix or product. Back when the older formula was being highly touted there were just as many folks saying it "ruined" their model/decal/paint. And every labeling change and formula change since has brought the same two groups out in force. The it works fine for me group, and the don't go near it it will ruin your life group. Honestly the same can be said of paints. For every manufacturer, there are those that love the product and swear by it and others who will tell you it is rubbish.

For a few bucks we can all try something and see if it works for us. If not, then there are plenty of model specific competing products out there they just cost a lot more per ounce than alternatives. But in the end it only matters if it works for you. Heck there is a guy I follow on another board that swears the best thing to do to any model is spray it lightly with straight white spirits after everything else. Works for him, would probably turn my models into a mess.

I still see several sellers on Ebay offering Pledge with Future at between $13 - $15 USD and free shipping. Considering it's 32oz (0.95L) and how little is used per model it's still a good buy and cheap.

I don't know about the 'new formula' stuff in other countries, but here in the UK, there was a definite and distinct change to the product, and the bottle.
The 'old' stuff was crystal clear, and in a clear bottle, and even with one coat, gave a gloss finish.
The 'new' stuff is like milk, and in a white, opaque bottle. Although it's possible to get a gloss finish, it takes at least three coats to do so, and this finish remains relatively 'soft', with an uneven, waxy appearance.
I have actually managed to use it as a gloss clear coat, but after a disasterous experience after mixing it with Tamiya Flat Base, to make a matt varnish as I had for years with the 'old' formula, I stopped using it.
It also has a 'perfumed' smell to it and, after the bottle has been opened a few times, it takes on a brownish tinge.
It does, however, still perform reasonably well for 'dipping' clear parts, but my bottle has been consigned to the large round filing cabinet which is emptied weekly ...........

The formula currently sold here in the US is clear as crystal. Mine was under the kitchen sink for half a year, opened, and is still clear. There is a perfume odor. It was added to warn little kids it was not water. But in my experience once sprayed or otherwise applied the odor disappears quickly. I recently bought a new bottle just for use by me and it is still the same bottle and still very clear. There is another product by the same company, very similar packaging and name, that is cloudy white. This one, at least as sold here, is NOT the product we all collectively refer to as Klear. It was introduced to provide a higher shine and hence the waxy finish. But both are sold side by side here.

Edit: A friend in England explained to me that the EU now requires all cleaning products sold to NOT be clear in order to reduce poisoning deaths. Apparently this affected a number of products.

That explains a lot then.
Certainly not the same product it used to be (in the UK), and to be honest, it's not that good as a polish either !
A trick picked up in the Army, for a quick shine to one's boots or shoes, was to give them a wipe over with 'Klear', just as a temporary measure. It would last a few days, and be high gloss, but of course normal polish was used the rest of the time.
I tried the 'new' stuff on a pair of black leather shoes - they ended up cloudy grey !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back