Ploesti B-24s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WahooKnows

Recruit
Feb 28, 2006
Anyone have any pix of B-24D's of the 44th BG in Benghazi? My father was pilot of "Southern Comfort" on Ploesti raid. Leon Johnson's group.

Thanks.

why on this earth have you not tried the 44th bg association, and I do not mean online web-site which is not usually run by the assocaition bg rep and staff but by familie's ?

go to : www.armyairforces.com

join the forums and ask in the heavy bombers section and in fact go through the site real slowly and familiarize yourself with the site as there are pertinent question areas per each bomb group in all the US forces located there. you may get a straight up answer from one of the 44th bg vets or even the bg association rep.

good luck

E ~ I know a couple of 44th bg pilots and crewmen by the way none on the Ploesti kick butt raids

I'm new to this board, so don't know how to respond to a specific post, but the "Southern Comfort" picture evanglide posted is either the second or third B-24 to be so named. My father's was a D model -- no nose turret. BTW, all "SC" were shot down. Bad luck name, I guess.

Anyone have any pix of B-24D's of the 44th BG in Benghazi? My father was pilot of "Southern Comfort" on Ploesti raid. Leon Johnson's group.

Thanks.

My father flew 34 missions on the Southern Comfort. He was a navigator. I have a photo of the Southern Comfort if you were interested in having, it is very clear and seems to be the best out the ones i have seen online. If you would like to give me an email address, I would be glad to send it. I am new to this web-site so I am not sure how to post the picture.
Thanks

My grandfather CMSGT Glenn C Hickerson was tailgunner on the first Southern Comfort which was lost over Italy. I still have the model B-24D that my dad made him ~45 years ago. I'm looking for any pics or info I can find about her.

I'm literally crying right now. I have not seen any pictures of this plane in over 20 years! I'm just now getting to the internet to research the 8th AF and 44th BG..

I'm so glad I found this forum. Thanks in advance,

Robbie Hickerson

Attachments

• SOUTHERNCOMFORT-V2.jpg
    SOUTHERNCOMFORT-V2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 128
EDIT---I just dug deeper and found out the Southern Comfort he was on was 42-40778, not 42-7506 (the B-24 pictured in my above post). I have scoured, but found no pictures of the 40778. My father told me he was tailgunner on 3 different SC's (all shot down), and that he eluded capture the first time, was captured but escaped before POW processing the second time, but was captured and interred in an Italian POW camp the third time.

:idea: WahooKnows....1st LT. Austin your father?

My father flew 34 missions on the Southern Comfort. He was a navigator. I have a photo of the Southern Comfort if you were interested in having, it is very clear and seems to be the best out the ones i have seen online. If you would like to give me an email address, I would be glad to send it. I am new to this web-site so I am not sure how to post the picture.
Thanks

Is 2nd Lt. Paul S. Singer your father? <--Navigator on 42-40778.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back