Possible crank landing gear handles????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

3air

Airman
Mar 19, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Hello all. I am new here and joined hoping to possibly gain some knowledge as I'm sure I will. I am a collector and user of tools in the automotive world. In the recent past I've identified one odd ratchet find as belonging to a military aircraft landing gear mechanism.

Upon some suggestion from others I find myself here hoping to identify two other pieces. They are obviously standard 1/2" drive ratchets of their day, however modified for special use. Each was modified in that a rotating aluminum handle was added, along with a 5/8" square hex drive as opposed to 1/2" square drive.

One ratchet was made by Snap On Tools, and the other by Armstrong Tools. I have no indication as to where or when the modifications took place other than the fact that the Snap On ratchet has a production date of 1954.

I'm hoping someone out there has either seen these in use or can point me in the right direction. After all, I'm not even sure they are aircraft related. I do believe they are military use tools.

Any info, photos, id help would be wonderful.

Thank you all in advance. :)

Attachments

• DSC03913.JPG
    DSC03913.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC03618.JPG
    DSC03618.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 233
The Snap-On series 71-M was produced from about WWII until around 1965...I haven't seen one with a "crank" handle addition before, but at the end of the ratchet's handle, there is a "hanging" hole, so that additional handle may have been added easily enough.

I have seen ratchets with a "hex" interior used for applications, like on trucks, heavy equipment - that would even be handy for lowering/raising the spare tire on several models of American pickup trucks...

Thank you for the responses and link.
Here are a few more photos, I did replace the hex with a 1/2" square drive gear in the Armstrong :
DSC03916.JPG
DSC03917.JPG
DSC03623.JPG
DSC03638.JPG
DSC03625.JPG
The Snap-On series 71-M was produced from about WWII until around 1965...I haven't seen one with a "crank" handle addition before, but at the end of the ratchet's handle, there is a "hanging" hole, so that additional handle may have been added easily enough.

I have seen ratchets with a "hex" interior used for applications, like on trucks, heavy equipment - that would even be handy for lowering/raising the spare tire on several models of American pickup trucks...

Yes, these are post WWII production. I figured this would be a good place to ask about them to find out if there was an aircraft connection.

They both were made with hang holes in the handle where the crank handle was attached. The two ratchets were purchased separately from different parts of the country but have the same features.

Last edited:
In one of GregP's pictures of a P-59 cockpit it shows a adapted Snap-On ratchet being used as a emergency gear extension handle.

It not like those ratchets though.

Does anyone know where that picture is located? If not I'll try to contact GregP.

I've used those before, but they're twice as big as these ratchet based "whatevers".
These look like they're based on a ordinary 1/2 inch ratchet, those truck landing gear handles are a great deal bigger.

The Photo of the P-59 cockpit is in Aviation thread on page 2, A6M5 model 52 Zero, reply 62.

Last edited:
That was a long time back and it makes me want to kick myself for posting multiple planes in stead of staying with a narrower topic line. At the time I was posting a lot of Planes of Fame stuff in one post, but it makes it hard to find.

I'll get another pic of the Snap-On emergency gear handle Saturday and post it in here.

Welcome to the forum!

- Greg

Last edited:
A typical " I need a - ok, so i'll make one" tool, which every mechanic/engineer/enthusiast eventually finds in their toolbox/cabinet, whether aviation, marine,farming, auto racing or rallying, steam engines or whatever.

That is quite possible. I'm leaning toward military vehicle of some type.

I've used those before, but they're twice as big as these ratchet based "whatevers".
These look like they're based on a ordinary 1/2 inch ratchet, those truck landing gear handles are a great deal bigger.

The Photo of the P-59 cockpit is in Aviation thread on page 2, A6M5 model 52 Zero, reply 62.

That they are tyrodtom. Regular 1/2" ratchets modified with a rotating handle. Thank you very much for the tip, you led me right to it! It is actually on page 5, GregP in post #62 shows the Bell YP-59A Airacomet cockpit.
That was a long time back and it makes me want to kick myself for posting multiple planes in stead of staying with a narrower topic line. At the time I was posting a lot of Planes of Fame stuff in one post, but it makes it hard to find.

I'll get another pic of the Snap-On emergency gear handle Saturday and post it in here.

Welcome to the forum!

- Greg

Thanks Greg! I've found the cockpit photo thanks to tyrodtom. That picture is great to see. That confirms my every suspicion that Bell sourced their ratchet handles from Snap On. I have a similar ratchet as the one in your photo that I believe to be from a P-63 King Cobra. I will have to post it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back