Primer question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vinegar and slightly sanding sound very good, specially for metal landing gear, I will try them next time.
Many thanks for all feedback.
Alberto

You may also need to switch to a metal primer. these are different than primers used on on non-metal surfaces. Don't know about Italy but hardware/paint stores shoud carry metal primers

Thanks,
but the Tamiya I mentioned above is stated to be for plastic and metal!
When I was used to do 90 mm figurines, I used hardware primers for them and they worked well. But the difference is that these primers, at least those I know, are too thick to be used finely engraved plastic models.
In any case it's a good idea and I should try again, next time I have to prime p.e. or other metal parts and use the Tam on plastic only.
Alberto

Hope I don't hijack the thread that's going on but I have a related question.

I have considered priming for the exact reasons stated above. But I had also wanted to pre-shade panel lines. If I do this will the primer cover up pre-shading and render it ineffective? Or can I preshade over the primer (though I might have trouble picking out the panel lines? Advice and insight always appreciated!

Marcus, I think you may find the answer to your question in this thread here. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/we...ar-overall-use-modeling-techniques-14378.html If not, if you lightly sand the surface with 1500 grit paper and then put a light coat of primer down, sanding it when you are done to get better adhesion I don't think you will eliminate the detail to much but make sure you keep your primer thin. Hope this helps.

Hi, Aaron. I'm not too far from you, Harlan, Kentucky, here. While I've only recently started building planes, I've been back to modeling now for a couple of years, doing ships until very recently. Doing those, where priming the hulls was pretty much essential since I built full hull and most kits seem to come split hull, I discovered Alclad II primer. Comes in grey, white and black. Airbrush ready and drys very quickly. Lays down a nice primer coat that shows up any defects very well. Just from my personal perspective, whether or not I prime depends on several things: 1) how many "boo-boos" am I trying to hide; 2) now much detail will be lost by multiple coats of paint; 3) how does the fit look unpainted; and, 4) how big a kit am I painting. Using my approach, which may or may not be valid, I'd be more inclined to prime something like a 1/48 B-17 which has a lot of surface area to be painted. Seems to me like that would give you more surface for paint adhesion to be an issue on. For what its worth.

Bob

Aaron, no we aren't far away from each other at all. My wife and I do get over to Abingdon from time to time. Maybe we could get together for a cup of coffee sometime and talk about hour mutual hobby. Also, are you aware of the Smokey Mountain Modelers Mini-Con coming up on March 26? Its at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum from 9:00 to 5:00. If you are interested in going, let me know if you want and maybe we can hook up. Its nice to know there are some fellow modelers in this general area. A while back I tried to stir up some interest in putting together a scale modeling club over here, but there just wasn't enough interest to ever get it off the ground.

Bob

If it is on a Saturday I am afraid I will be working on a 1/1 scale model of a 1986 El Camino. :lol: I have until the end of the month to get it finished. That's the reason I have not been working on models here at the house. I would love to go though but I have to get this car done. Sorry.:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back