Brushable surfacer/primer (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
I am looking for a surfacer micro filler that can be hairy stick brushed on and isn't too toxic. Basically a non pongy version of Mr Surfacer which smells like a chemical works and seems to hang around for ever.

Does such a thing exist.

I use Tamiya's Grey Surface Primer. It's lacquer based but doesn't smell. I spray for large areas and use it with a brush to spot-fill defects, recessed panel lines and rivets. Several dabs are usually required to fill a typical panel line. I have not tried brushing over larger areas.

s-l640.jpg

It's thicker than the paint but, like I said, it won't fill a panel line in one pass. It usually takes 2 or 3 but I've built up the coats as it dried so I don't necessarily wait for it to dry. Once dry (6 or more hours - I usually let it sit over night), I sand it back.

I've normally used just an enamel paint ( normally Humbrol ) in a light grey matt finish. Once brushed on, it can be lightly sanded to give a smooth surface and a good "key" for the finishing coat(s).
For filling, mix in a little talcum power and brush onto the panel line /divot / sink mark or whatever, let it harden, and lightly sand back.
Cheap, easy and effective.

We have just gone back into lockdown in Britain and most shops are shut but next time I do the food shopping I shall get some talcum powder and have a go.

Good stuff.
Mix the talc into the paint to create a thick, but fluid mix, rather like porridge. Use an old brush to brush onto the surface, and "lay off" as required.
I normally leave this at least 12 hours, to ensure it's fully hardened, before sanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back