Production rate versus type effectiveness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Drgondog
Sorry, I have no info on Hispanos and I hve to correct my earlier claim, the weapon Soviet used in place of M4 wasn't 23mm but 20mm B-20 and sometimes they also replaced .5s with 12,7mm Berezina UBSs.

Juha

I believe those delivered to the soviets with 20 mm Hispanos were originally RAF-ordered. The RAF tppk no P-39's (P-400's) with the Olds gun.

MM

That is correct. the P-400 and P-39D-1 were basically the same, including the M1 20mm (Hispano) replacing the M4. The D-2 retained the 37mm for USAAF and some went to USSR. IIRC all succeeding models had the M4.

That isn't waht we are scratching our heads about. The Sovs virtually had an analogue to the Hispano with their 20 and 23mm cannon and the 12.7mm for the M2 .50 cal.

Whether they performed 'receiving Depot' level replacements to replace the US guns is what I am trying to dig up.

Excellent posting MM!

Regarding the KingCobra development of the Cobra: it was supposedly supplied to the Soviets with the strict proviso that it was to be used only against the Japs and not against the Germans, who might copy the design.

I strongly suspect the Soviets reneged on the agreement.

On politics: Sasha Porykyshin loved the P-39 and is rumoured to have got all his kills on it. The claim that all his later kills came on the La-7 was an attempt by Soviet Propaganda to hide the embarassment of a top ace preferring foreign planes to local made...or so some sources say.

BB - we must read the same sources. I too have read that the P-63 is alleged to have turned up over Danzig (Kronisberg - [sp]) and Berlin in the very last days of WW2.

On another - unrelated - note: I saw Valkerie over the recent holidays and was generally very impressed with the attention to detail (trucks being the exception). It opens with the Count's unit being straffed by RAF P-40's in Tunisia which is a nice, realistic touch. And there are multiple, very dramatic appearances of JU-84 'Auntie Ju' transports throughout.

Chairs from the land of sun, snow and ice. No GW here.

MM

As this thread is about aircraft performance and production in honour of the reality that war is all about PRODUCTION - always has been, I suspect - but in modern times INDUSTRIAL production, I would like to seek second opinions on the quality and veracity of the following - which I personally find very useful - but which I am curious about knowledgeable feedback:

Aircraft Production Totals

Comments, observations, recommendations for better sources?

Chairs,

MM

Hi Kurfürst,

>There was also option to carry bombs up to 1800 kg externally. I am not sure about the exact layout, one German primary source notes 2 x 1800 kg, another is a bit unclear wheter the 1800kg bomb was only possible as an assymetrical external load or not..

The Ju 88A-4 was changed over the Ju 88A-1 in having bomb racks that allowed carriage of 1800 kg bombs on both sides, while in the Ju 88A-1 this was only possible on one side.

However, even for the Ju 88A-4 the resulting weight would have exceeded the maximum take-off weight with full internal fuel, so to use the technically possible 2 x 1800 kg option, it would have to fly with reduced fuel load.

Here is a loading diagram of the Junkers Ju 88A-4:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/we...oadouts-individual-bomb-sizes-makes-9040.html

Here some manuals and links to an external site with performance data for different loads:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/other-mechanical-systems-tech/ju-88-manual-s-5375.html

Maybe also of interest:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/luftwaffe-bombers-bomb-bay-load-11478.html

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back