Question about B-24D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
I hope to be in the right subforum.
I am in the process of building a B-24D 1/48 (Start to Finish Builts)

A question to knowledgeable friends:

417.jpg

These antennas or pitot on the outside of the cabin, I seem to distinguish in some original photos that the tip is flat and possibly have holes (like the tip of an rifle), however in this photo are pointed tips.

Do you know what those tips are like?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Saludos cordiales.
Luis Carlos
SANCER

The only ones I can recall offhand are pointed and the do have a hole in the tip for airflow. Interesting photo showing a different location on the left. ...

So I will, Geo, ... the photos of the WWII I have, are not very clear and my question was whether the tip is flat or pointed. And now it's clear to me.
Greetings. :thumbup:

Yep, pointed, and with the hole to allow airflow to the ASI.
When the nose turret was introduced, the pitots were moved up the fuselage, to avoid being 'interrupted', or blocked, by muzzle blast if the turret was traversed when firing the guns.

Thanks Terry, that extra info, is always welcome and allows me to continue learning from these wonderful aircraft.
That hole they have at the tip, in 1/48 scale, will be insensitive; So I'm already working on some pins that will flatten a little the tips to make them look like the real ones.

Un abrazo fuerte maestro! :thumbup:

The pitot tubes were moved to a higher location initially when D models were depot modified to have cheek guns installed.
The addition of a cheek window on the port side where the tube was originally located made the change necessary. Later, this change was incorporated in the factory. In close up photos of the starbord side of the nose on a B-24 so modified will show a rectangular patch covering the original pitot location.

The pitot tubes were moved to a higher location initially when D models were depot modified to have cheek guns installed.
The addition of a cheek window on the port side where the tube was originally located made the change necessary. Later, this change was incorporated in the factory. In close up photos of the starbord side of the nose on a B-24 so modified will show a rectangular patch covering the original pitot location.

Interesting observation, what you comment is what appears in the picture of George (fubar57, ... post # 2), I will pay attention in the photos to identify those rectangular patches from where the pitot tubes were removed.

Thanks for sharing it varsity07840

Saludos cordiales colega :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

There were several different shapes of mounting plates on the modified position "ram's horn" pitot, including (from memory) oval, square and rectangle. This will be looked at in "Consolidated Mess, Volume II".

Alan Griffith

There were several different shapes of mounting plates on the modified position "ram's horn" pitot, including (from memory) oval, square and rectangle. This will be looked at in "Consolidated Mess, Volume II".

Alan Griffith
Thanks for the addition of your information Alan. I do not know that book, but for there to be a second volume, it will be very useful to be able to get it.

:thumbup:

Alan Griffith
WHEN IS VOL. II COMING OUT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back