Question about P-40 in WWII…

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WriterGirl

Recruit
Apr 20, 2021
I am researching an airman who was KIA in 1943 while piloting his P-40 from Pinellas AAF in St. Petersburg during advanced combat training. He was towing a target when his engine failed and his aircraft went down over the water.

So here's my question—what does "towing a target" mean in this context? Also, any insight or guesses about why there was engine failure in this situation?

Thanks so much. I just want to make sure I understand what's happening while I'm researching.

I am researching an airman who was KIA in 1943 while piloting his P-40 from Pinellas AAF in St. Petersburg during advanced combat training. He was towing a target when his engine failed and his aircraft went down over the water.

So here's my question—what does "towing a target" mean in this context? Also, any insight or guesses about why there was engine failure in this situation?

Thanks so much. I just want to make sure I understand what's happening while I'm researching.
Target towing is/was just that. An aircraft towed a streamer or banner while pilots practicing gunnery practice shot at it.

1664416102468.png

The engine failure could have happened for a number of reasons. I'm sure someone here might be able to find an accident report

If you have his name, try the database at aviationarcheology.com.
I pulled up 14 fatal accidents in 1943.
If you know the pilot's name, you could pinpoint the accident and order the crash report.

Writergirl

Sorry about the late reply, if you haven't already ordered the report, it can be obtain for free if you're willing to wait a few days, by ordering directly from the AFHRA. Let me know if you want to use this route and I can step you through it

Buz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back