Question for JoeB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
I have a question for JoeB.

Joe, I have a good friend who owns a Mooney M20J. Nice plane with fresh paint and interior. He has started asking me about maybe polishing his prop so it gleams with a mirror finish. I said I'd think it over and get back with him.

This is a certified Mooney with a stock prop. In my mind, a certified airplane has a specified engine and propeller combination. The prop has a part number which isn't important. The stock prop is painted and I believe all McCauley props come painted. The paint is ostensibly there for corrosion protection, but polishing a prop, waxing it, and keeping it shiny would seem to make corrosion something that you would notice and handle right away. I know my friend would ... he keeps it spotless.

My question is whether or not polishing a painted prop on a certified aircraft will render the prop unairworthy due to not being in stock condition. Have you ever addressed or heard of this in the past?

Regards, - Greg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back