Question on the A6M5C assignments.....Army and Navy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The colour of Akagi Zeroes would be very rusty coloured by 1943.

That no lie.

What gave you the impression Zeroes were flown by the Army?

Zero did become a catch all for all Japanese fighters and the Ki-43 Hayabusa is a Zero-a-like. So easily done.

Prior to the New Guinea/Solomons campaign, the IJA had little to do with IJN operations with the exception of the invasion of the Philippines.
The Army was focused and equipped to operate on the mainland (China, Burma, India, etc.) while it was up to the Navy to handle their own operations elsewhere.
With the deteriorating situation in the Solomon's, the Navy did request the Army's help and after many months of meetings and deliberation, the Army finally relented and transferred men and assets to the area.
The IJA had air bases in areas such as Wewok (New Guinea) and a joint base with the IJN at Rabaul.
The Army's air elements remained under control of the Army, though and "assisted" the Navy on their own terms.

As far as IJN camouflage, the units that operated from land bases adopted appropiate markings for the area: typically the dark green upper with the light undersides, though there were a few exceptions.
It was the Army that had the best camouflage, in some cases, better than the Italians!

I think I was drawn to the assumption because of seeing the naval pale grey and then pics of Zero's in what I considered Army colors. This is a relief as now I can weather myself silly on the green finishes!!!! Thanks!!!!

I think I was drawn to the assumption because of seeing the naval pale grey and then pics of Zero's in what I considered Army colors. This is a relief as now I can weather myself silly on the green finishes!!!! Thanks!!!!
Depending on where your subject was based, the weathering should include "coral chipping" on leading edges in relation to prop-wash, as many airfields in the PTO were covered in coral sand, which is extremely abrasive.

Some were more weathered than most, my A6M5.

1626644840162.png

1626644865908.png

Remember that the G3M Nell and G4M Betty were IJN aircraft. Obviously not carrier aircraft!

The A6M5c Model 52 Hei was introduced in the latter part of 1944 and carried a heavier armament than it's predecessors 52a 'Ko' and 52b 'Otsu' models
adding 2 further 13mm machine guns to the wings outboard of the Cannons, but deleting the cowl mounted 7.7mm gun.
At this time all IJN aircraft had Dark Green upper surfaces and Olive grey lower surfaces.
The A6M5c was a land based IJN aircraft built by Nakajima, identified by the Green camo curving upwards from the rear of the main wing to the rear horizontal stabilisers. Mitsubishi built A6M5 green camo went from rear of main wing in a straight line under the rear horizontal stabs to the tail.
all Zero versions were used solely by the Navy whether carrier or land based.

Couple quick questions...color for the interior on the canopy. Can't tell from BW....interior color of builder or flat black? Crazy question....rear canopy, radio mast and then right behind an square opening. Can figure no reason. Found on both the -M2 and M3 that I looked at. Amaze me with this answer............

The Imperial Japanese Navy's biggest enemy was the Imperial Japanese Army.

Cold day in hell before the Navy gives it's fighters to the Army.

Great decisions is not an Imperial Japan thing. Bang on stupidity though.
Truth itsownself.
In researching Whirlwind I found additional proof that while the Potomac represented The Home Front (army-navy), in Tokyo interservice rivalry was a full-contact sport. The army, being French trained way back when, had reverse (pull-to-go) throttles while the RN-influenced IJN had push-to-go throttles. Mostly from the Strategic Bombing Surveys: there were IJN/JAAF radar sites side by side; IIRC only two IJN fighter units would comply with orders from Army HQ, etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back