Question on the SBD-5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
I got these pictures from the national archives and wondering if any on knows any thing more about them?

Note that they are hung from the ceiling of the aircraft carrier. Im guess its so they can store more aircraft but not for sure.

Thanks Micdrow

Attachments

• SBD-5s.JPG
    SBD-5s.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 204
  • SBD.JPG
    SBD.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 195
I believe carriers (american at any rate) used to store replacement aircraft in the overhead. Brought them down when they needed them (which was fairly frequently given the number of accidents caused by a wartime operational tempo).

Interesting, first time I've actually seen a picture of them in the act of putting them up. Looks like they cleared they hanger bay completely before rasing a bunch of them into the overhead. Pretty interesting shot.

Thanks guys, its what I thought but have never seen it either till I found these photos.

Over the years, I have seen various pictures of TBD's and F4F's stored that way.

Over the years, I have seen various pictures of TBD's and F4F's stored that way.

Hi V-1710, would love to see some more picture's of this if you have some time.

Thanks in advance.
Micdrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back