R.A.F.Mosquito PR.1X.LR412

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Squeezeboxers

Recruit
Mar 17, 2009
Hi Guys...I have a question for you as I'm sure someone out there will know the answer.
R.A.F.Mosquito PR.1X.LR412 was lost on 9th February 1944 when it collided with the cloud covered summit of Aran Fawddwy North Wales.
Being a Photo-reconnaissance aircraft, a version of the B.1X. high altitude bomber, would the paint job on this aircraft at the time of it's loss have been all black?
This aircraft belonged to 540 Squadron R.A.F. Benson.
Your suggestions for this aircrafts colour scheme and it's markings would be much appreciated.

I don't know of any BIX or PRIX Mosquitos being all black. The Mosquitos of the PRU Benson were painted in overall P.R.U. Blue during this period, and remained so until the early 1950's, when a change was made to the colour scheme, with PRU blue and Dark Grey replacing the overall blue scheme. All roundels were of the Blue/Red Type B design, carried on fuselage and upper wing only, and the fin flash also was Red/Blue, reading from the front; serial number was black, 8 inches high.
Some aircraft of the PRU Squadrons, at some time, might have had coloured spinners, and might have carried an individual code letter, in white, on the rear fuselage; I'm sorry, but I can't help with the individual markings, if any, of this particular aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back