Radar Cross Section

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
I got some questions regarding the subject of radar-cross section.
  1. Is there any publicly available / publicly-listed data on the RCS of any of the following aircraft?
    • Bombers/Reconnaissance
      • He-111
      • B-17
      • Ju-88
      • B-24
      • De Havilland Mosquito
      • Avro Lancaster
      • B-29
      • B-36
      • B-47
      • B-52
      • Tu-16
      • Tu-95
      • M-4
      • Tu-22
      • XB-70
      • Tu-22M
      • B-1
      • F-117
      • B-2
    • Reconnaissance
      • Ki-46
      • SR-71
    • Fighters
      • Bf.110
      • J1N
      • P-61
      • F-86
      • MiG-15
      • MiG-17
      • MiG-19
      • F-100
      • F-104
      • MiG-21
      • Su-7
      • F-105
      • F-4
      • F-111
      • F-15
      • F-16
      • F-18
      • F-22
  2. What effect does RCS have on detection distance? For example if RCS is reduced by 2 fold, what effect does that have?
While the arragnement seems odd, I put them in chronological order of first flight.

GTX , T Token X XBe02Drvr

Last edited:
What effect does RCS have on detection distance? For example if RCS is reduced by 2 fold, what effect does that have?
I don't know the RCS of any plane, but the effect on range is easy. Look up "radar range equation" and you'll see detection range equals the 4th root of the product of several parameters, one of which is RCS. If you cut RCS in half but all other parameters are unchanged, detection range changes by the 4th root of 0.5, or 84%. This 4th root behavior is the reason a very large RCS reduction is necessary to get a big reduction in detection range.

If you cut RCS in half but all other parameters are unchanged, detection range changes by the 4th root of 0.5, or 84%.

As soon as I posted that I realized it was badly worded. It gives the impression a 50% cut in RCS reduces detection range by 84%. I should have said detection range is still 84% of the original range, i.e., not a big reduction.

Users who are viewing this thread