RAF 100 Group's use of American bombers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

marea

Airman
Sep 28, 2009
Does anyone have any information or pictures of US aircraft used by 100 Group of RAF Bomber Command? I've seen a 1 or 2 colour profiles of B17 and B24's used by 100 Grp as electronic counter measures aircraft but are there any actual photographs? :|

right but I was answering the original posters question of sorts, I do know the work of what you speak is excellent along with Confound and Destroy

Has anyone a list of codes worn by RAF Coastal Command B-17 squadrons, including Met. Squads.

206 Squadron 'VX'
220 squadron 'NR'

At the end of 1942 all RAF operational Commands, excepting Fighter and Bomber Commands, including overseas Commands, were ordered to stop the use of squadron codes for security reasons. When squadron codes were removed the aircraft's individual letter was retained. To distinguish two squadrons operating from the same base, Coastal Command adopted the practice of using single digits. In the Azores 206 Squadron used the digit '1' and 220 Squadron '2'. The digit was always placed forward of the fuselage roundel.

In mid-1944 the use of squadron codes on General Reconnaissance aircraft was approved. 220 Squadron's three Fortresses were coded 'ZZ'.

Met Squadrons allocated Fortresses were:

519 Squadron 'Z9'
521 Squadron '5O'
251 Squadron 'AD'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back