RAF 2- engined bombers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vincenzo

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 24, 2007
Ciociaria
after the Neil uploaded files i think is right give some room to this planes

List and some data of RAF 2-engined bombers, no Coastal Command planes
Load data from Neil files

Baltimore: in use since '42 only in MTO (Bomb load internal: 2,000 Bomb load external: NA Permanent tanks fuel: 407 gals Max fuel: NA) [Max load: fuel+bombs (fuel at 7.2 lbs to gal) rounded to hundred lbs: 4,900]
Blenheim: in use until '43 (BI: 1,000, BE: NA, PF: 466, MF: NA) (Fuel for Blenheim I PF: 278 ) [ML: 4,400] [Bl I, ML 3,000]
Boston: in use since '41/42 (BI: 2,000, BE: 2,000, PF: 325, MF 605) [ML: 6,400]
Hampden: in use until '42 (43 in CC) (BI: 4,000, BE: 1,000, PF: 654, MF: NA) [ML: 7,300)
Manchester: in use since '40/41, until june '42 (BI: 10,350, BE: NA, PF: 1160, MF: NA) [ML: 16,700]
Marauder: in use since '42 only in MTO (BI: 4,000, BE: NA, PF: 600, MF: 800) [ML: 9,800]
Maryland: in use since '40, until '42?
Mitchell: in use since '42/43 (BI:3,500, BE: 2,400, main tanks fuel: 558, max fuel early II 1,006, max combat fuel later II&III 1,269 max ferry fuel III 1,353) [10,600 ML, early 7,500] data from US manuals possibly not directly comparable with the other (BI: 6,200 lbs if only AP bombs were loaded)
Mosquito: in use since '42 (BI: 4,000, BE: 1,000, PF: 536, MF: 657 (Bay tank), 636 (wing tanks)) [ML: 8,600] (note; data are for XVI alone)
Valentia (ME only): in use until '40
Ventura: in use since '42, until '43
Wellington: in use until '43 (BI: 4,500, BE: NA, PF: 750, MF: 1,030) [ML: 9,900 Wel X] [ML: 8,400 Wel I)
Whitley: in use until '42 (BI: 5,000, Internal wings bombs: 3,000, PF: 837, MF 1,101) (Fuel for Whitley V: PF: 705, MF: 969) [ML: 10,600]

I've a doubt on Beaufort was used from bomber squadrons?

add and corrections are welcomed

Last edited:
Beaufort was Coastal Command in the UK but I'm pretty sure overseas units were not part of that Command. Beauforts also operated from Malta and in the Far East, and in the latter they were also used as bombers in addition to their traditional anti-shipping role. None of the overseas-deployed aircraft were part of Coastal Command.

Vincenzo, you could add to that list the Lockheed Hudson used as bombers in the Far East. Also the Airspeed Oxford - ok, so it wasn't used by any bomber units but by 4 FTS in Iraq but it was a twin and did drop bombs in anger.

Last edited:
Beaufort was Coastal Command in the UK but I'm pretty sure overseas units were not part of that Command. Beauforts also operated from Malta and in the Far East, and in the latter they were also used as bombers in addition to their traditional anti-shipping role. None of the overseas-deployed aircraft were part of Coastal Command.

Nope, the squadrons using Beauforts in the Med were all Coastal Command: 86 and 217 Squadrons were operating from Malta, while 22 (moved to Far East after temporary stay in North Africa), 39 (originally BC, transferred to CC 1/1/42), 42 and 47 operated from Egypt and Libya RAF Coastal Command order of battle during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The only non CC units operating Beauforts in the far East and Pacific were RAAF.

Thanks for the replies and for the new files

Neil looking in your archive there are the files for Maryland, Mitchell, Ventura?
i think Valentia it's too hard to find

Nope, the squadrons using Beauforts in the Med were all Coastal Command: 86 and 217 Squadrons were operating from Malta, while 22 (moved to Far East after temporary stay in North Africa), 39 (originally BC, transferred to CC 1/1/42), 42 and 47 operated from Egypt and Libya RAF Coastal Command order of battle during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The only non CC units operating Beauforts in the far East and Pacific were RAAF.

If 39 Sqn only transferred to Coastal Command on 1 Jan 42 then it did operate Beauforts as part of Bomber Command - the unit had converted to Beauforts in Aug/Sep 41. I'll admit I'm splitting hairs...a little. :)

Terrific stuff, Neil. Many thanks from Dalmatia :)

Ground staff prepare a No 233 Squadron Hudson for flight in freezing conditions at Thorney Island, 19 January 1942. The 'hot air van' has been brought in to warm up the engines and de-ice the cockpit windscreen.
Hudson-in-snow-595x449.jpg

Operation CORKSCREW: a Douglas Boston of No. 24 Squadron SAAF flies over the target as bombs explode on the Italian gun battery on Monte San Elmo (bottom), during the intense aerial bombardment of Pantelleria, prior to the Allied landings there.
boston-over-pantelleria-595x592.jpg

Martin Baltimores of No. 21 Squadron SAAF clear the target area as the smoke from burning oil dumps spreads across the airfield on Pantelleria, during three days of intensive air bombardment of the island by light bombers of the Desert Air Force.
Baltimores-over-Pantellaria-595x667.jpg

The island of Pantelleria in the Mediterranean, wreathed in smoke from bursting bombs during the Allied bombardment of June 1943. Capture of the island was a vital precursor to the invasion of Sicily in July.
pantellaria-bombed-595x576.jpg

Operation CORKSCREW: a salvo of bombs from Douglas Bostons of No. 326 Wing RAF explode on the Bellotti Battery on the northern coast of Pantelleria, prior to the Allied landings on the island.
pantelleria-bombing-595x607.jpg

USAAF photo of attack on a German-Italian airfield on Pantelleria
Pantelleria-595x514.jpg

Bombs bursting on the harbour of Pantelleria, as seen from the cruiser HMS ORION, in preparation for the allied invasion of the island.

Contemporary film of USAAF and RAF operations

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_vFN2wkF9s

A Lockheed Hudson 'J-Jig' of No 200 Squadron, Royal Air Force, in flight over a coastal region of Gambia.
Hudson-over-Gambia-595x438.jpg

A crew of No 200 Squadron, Royal Air Force with a camera, about to emplane on Lockheed Hudson 'K-King' for an anti-submarine patrol, being helped by native workers.
200-squadron-hudson-595x441.jpg

No Bristol Bombay in the list!, I think they were only used a few times as bombers though and the bombs were thrown out through the door by airmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back