RAF and Battle of Britain books - so what should I add?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello gents:)
I am new in this verY interesting Forum.
I have read this thread about Raf books.
Well, I am not very much into english litterature.
May I ask to you which is in your opinion the best and most complete historical book on Raf during ww2?
Is there any official book sponsored by the Raf or the english air minsitry?

My attention is focused on fighters squadrons and African and Italian theatre of wars.
Thank you very much for your kind attention
Best regards.
PS Where can I post a thread with questions about aviation books? Not modelling, just historical or biographies.

Welcome Saetta! The book section we are working on. As far as a complete book, although I haven't seen it but everyone seems to recommend "Fighters Over Tunisia". The author I believe is Chris Shores? But the book is rare and if found very expensive.

Hello gents:)
I am new in this verY interesting Forum.
I have read this thread about Raf books.
Well, I am not very much into english litterature.
May I ask to you which is in your opinion the best and most complete historical book on Raf during ww2?
Is there any official book sponsored by the Raf or the english air minsitry?

My attention is focused on fighters squadrons and African and Italian theatre of wars.
Thank you very much for your kind attention
Best regards.
PS Where can I post a thread with questions about aviation books? Not modelling, just historical or biographies.

Hi Saetta,

North Africa and Italy aren't really my area of interest, but I have a couple on my shelves:

"Hurricanes Over Tobruk" by Brian Cull (lots of personal accounts of fighter combat over that part of the North Africa theatre)
"Libyan Log" by Eain G Ogilvie (this is an old book covering the period Jul 41-Jul 42 - it can be found quite cheaply second-hand via Abebooks)

As for accounts by individual pilots, I can recommend:

"Billy Drake, Fighter Leader" by Billy Drake (surprisingly!)
"Shark Squadron Pilot" by Bert Hordern
"Desert Flyer" by Martyn Ford-Jones

Sorry I can't be more help but at least these are a start.

Last edited:
Guys,
I have really appreciated your kind answers. :)
I will check all those books on ebay immediately.
Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back