RAF B25 MkII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tom17

Recruit
Jun 6, 2016
Would a Mitchell MkII (B-25 C/D) in RAF service (June 1944ish) use the US Norden bomb sight or a British equivalent?
Also, defensive armament. Dorsal twin, Ventral twin and single .50 in nose?
Thanks to All
Tom

Armament as stated, and MkIX bomb sight. The sight head is totally different to the Norden, but works in a similar fashion, and the bomb sight computer was on the port wall.
I'm not at home at the moment, so don't have access to my references and photos, but somewhere in the Modelling threads you'll find my un-finished build, converting the old Revell 1/48th "C" model to a later "D", with the waist windows and mid mounted upper turret. This shows the bomb sight arrangement, which I scratch-built.
Hope this helps.

You are correct - an error or typo on my part. It should be the T1 / Mk.XIV sight. Hinted at by mentioning the computer, but typed the wrong number !!
I'm still away from home, so don't have access to my references, but as far as I know, the British Mk.XIV sight was fitted in the UK, along with British radios and other equipment. For the purposes of a model, either the T.1 or Mk.XIV would suffice, there being little, if any, visible external differences.

Just a brief correction to the above: the legend on the MkXIV sight controller uniit refers to itself as a 'computor', not 'computer'. Signs of the times.

Here's a diagram of the interconnection of the MkXIV equipment:

Capture.JPG

Here's a diagram of the installation in a Halifax. Unfortunatley, I don't have the equivalent for the Mitchell but it seems that the "computor" was always mounted to the left of the sighting head.

Capture 1.JPG

Yep, on the Mitchell, it was just forward of the escape hatch panel on the port side, with the top of the "computor" casing just above the lower frame of the glazing. I'm still in a field in Norfolk, so unable to find a suitable photo from my references, but the location is shown in the build thread mentioned earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back