RAF Museum London

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yup, its first display duty was suspension from the Milestones ceiling. Originally, when it was hung, the propeller tips were painted red for some reason, but were repainted after the aircraft curator was bombarded with complaints about it! I have a photo of it with its red tips somewhere.
Hi

The Tempest was in the museum when it opened during 1972 as part of the "Sydney Camm" collection of aircraft, it was in late war standard camouflage, as in my December 1988 photo below:
WW2RAFsqnest172.jpg

I do not recall it having red tips on the propeller blades. The target towing colours were taken from a series of photographs provided by the son of the pilot who flew the actual aircraft in that role in Germany. The history of the museum's aircraft can be found via the RAF Museum's website.
As an aside I first visited the museum just after it opened in 1972 (the linked two WW1 hangers at the time), it was an official trip from RAF Halton where I was an apprentice at the time. Later in life I became a volunteer at the museum and have worked there since 1993 doing guided tours and also in the photographic collection office (Covid permitting).

Mike

Hi

The Tempest was in the museum when it opened during 1972 as part of the "Sydney Camm" collection of aircraft, it was in late war standard camouflage, as in my December 1988 photo below:
View attachment 663727
I do not recall it having red tips on the propeller blades. The target towing colours were taken from a series of photographs provided by the son of the pilot who flew the actual aircraft in that role in Germany. The history of the museum's aircraft can be found via the RAF Museum's website.
As an aside I first visited the museum just after it opened in 1972 (the linked two WW1 hangers at the time), it was an official trip from RAF Halton where I was an apprentice at the time. Later in life I became a volunteer at the museum and have worked there since 1993 doing guided tours and also in the photographic collection office (Covid permitting).

Mike
Hi
In 1972 'Flight International' published a special 'Picture Pageant of the RAF and its Museum', page 62 had a plan of the display:
WW2RAFsqnest175.jpg

By 1992 the museum had expanded at Hendon, as this ticket shows (dated 1 April 1992):
WW2RAFsqnest177.jpg

It has expanded since of course.

Mike

I do not recall it having red tips on the propeller blades.

I guess you weren't there when it was unveiled in the Milestones of Flight hall. This was after restoration and suspension in Milestones. I'm not sure how long it had them, but it came back from restoration with the red blade tips. There was a clip about its unveiling in Aeroplane Monthly as well, no doubt Flypast too, with pictures of it in situ. I can't find my picture of it I took unfortunately.

I'm clearly not talking about when it first went on display, Mike. I'm not that old...

By 1992 the museum had expanded at Hendon, as this ticket shows (dated 1 April 1992):

Interesting that that was 1992, Mike. The Beverley was scrapped in 1990, yet it's on that sheet. I remember going in 1992 and the Beverley was gone by then.

The Battle of Britain Hall was added in the late 1970s, the Bomber Command Hall was officially opened in 1983, I think. Milestones and the Grahame White Hangar were both opened in 2003, I was working at the museum at that time. They were the first major additions to the museum floor space in years.

Have you seen this thread, Mike?

I guess you weren't there when it was unveiled in the Milestones of Flight hall. This was after restoration and suspension in Milestones. I'm not sure how long it had them, but it came back from restoration with the red blade tips. There was a clip about its unveiling in Aeroplane Monthly as well, no doubt Flypast too, with pictures of it in situ. I can't find my picture of it I took unfortunately.

I'm clearly not talking about when it first went on display, Mike. I'm not that old...
Hi
All I can say is that in the photographs taken at the official opening of Milestones that were published in 'The Royal Air Force Yearbook 2004', page 23-25, the blade tips are yellow:
WW2RAFsqnest187.jpg

I have seen the other thread (some nice photos) and I was in the museum last Thursday, first time back in the office since the Covid closure although I have been doing some guided tours. There are lots of aircraft movements going on at present as the display is being rearranged.

Mike

All I can say is that in the photographs taken at the official opening of Milestones that were published in 'The Royal Air Force Yearbook 2004', page 23-25, the blade tips are yellow:

Doesn't mean it didn't happen, Mike; I was there at the time. You don't have to believe me. I could tell you a lot of things about the museum and you'd never be able to prove that they didn't happen.

I've been keeping an eye out as to the current movements and I'll address some of them since I'll be mentioning some of the aircraft that have been moved in my thread, such as the Fw 190 and the B-25.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen, Mike; I was there at the time. You don't have to believe me. I could tell you a lot of things about the museum and you'd never be able to prove that they didn't happen.

I've been keeping an eye out as to the current movements and I'll address some of them since I'll be mentioning some of the aircraft that have been moved in my thread, such as the Fw 190 and the B-25.
Hi
As I mentioned I have worked at the museum since 1993, so this year will be my 29th year and there certainly has been a lot of changes over that time in aircraft, display and policy.

In February for example the RAF Museum's Lysander returned after refurbishment and is now in its Special Duty markings and has been placed in the 'Bomber Hall' (it had been situated by the Sunderland before being removed for refurbishment:
065.JPG

Mike

Hi
As I mentioned I have worked at the museum since 1993, so this year will be my 29th year and there certainly has been a lot of changes over that time in aircraft, display and policy.

In February for example the RAF Museum's Lysander returned after refurbishment and is now in its Special Duty markings and has been placed in the 'Bomber Hall' (it had been situated by the Sunderland before being removed for refurbishment:
View attachment 664534

Mike

Hey Mike, is the semi-naked Brisfit still on display at Hendon? I'm visiting the Archives section in June and plan to spend some time in the museum proper....and the Brisfit is one of my key targets.

Hey Mike, is the semi-naked Brisfit still on display at Hendon? I'm visiting the Archives section in June and plan to spend some time in the museum proper....and the Brisfit is one of my key targets.
Hi

Yes, it is in Hangar 2, the Grahame White Hangar, it is basically the furthermost aircraft from the entrance and is partially beneath the Fokker D.VII that is hanging from the roof.

Mike

Hi

Yes, it is in Hangar 2, the Grahame White Hangar, it is basically the furthermost aircraft from the entrance and is partially beneath the Fokker D.VII that is hanging from the roof.

Mike

Great! Many thanks. I'm planning to be there on 21 June to look at some records of a relative who flew Brisfits with 11 Sqn in 1918. Definitely want to hit the Grahame White Hangar and get some photos of the aircraft.

Well, in that case, I'm sure you'll understand where I'm coming from, Mike. I'm sure there's a hot ton of stuff you know that I don't too. When I was there, Richard Simpson was the aircraft curator. He was a great guy, really enjoyed discussing stuff with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back