RAF Night Fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nynjazen

Recruit
J,
Does somebody know how night victories british night fighters claim between 1940 and 1945 ?
Mosquito's alone about 600, german nachtjägers 3000/3500 sure but RAF...
Thanks for help.
Nynjazen

I'm afraid I don't have a number for you. To get a total number you'd need also to included the Blenheim and Defiant night victories.

Your best bet might be to track down a copy of the various volumes of "RAF Fighter Command Victory Claims", which lists all the claims mmade by FC. Nota Bene though, I don't know if it includes the claims made by the Mossies of 100 Group, which reported to Bomber Command, or the claims made by the night fighters of the 2nd Tactical Air Force.

It's often been claimed that the Defiant was the highest scoring RAF night fighter between late 1940 and early 1942, although I haven't found actual figures (anyone?). By late 1941, 264 Squadron, which had operated the Daffy as a day fighter had claimed 96 aerial victories in the type (sqn personnel had a celebratory dinner at the BP factory for reaching '100' on the evening of 18 December 1941), although the actual figure would have been lower, no doubt, largely owing to its day fighter outings; the 37 without loss on one day (29 May 1940) was actually around 8 or 9 based on post-war research. Night fighter victories were easiear to confirm or deny, however.

Seem to remember reading the RAF used the Douglas Boston as a night fighter on occasion.

Certainly used them as Intruders over Luftwaffe fields, I think 1941-42. Also used Hurricanes in the same way, a couple of fellows ran up quite large scores this way.

Seem to remember reading the RAF used the Douglas Boston as a night fighter on occasion.

About 100 were converted.

They were also used in the "Turbinlite" role, which proved a waste of time.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back