RAF No. 4 Squadron F-86 Sabre in 1/48?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Which 1/48 F-86 Sabre, is best suited to do a No. 4 Squadron bird?

eagle-strike-48195-raf-north-american-f-86-canadair-sabres-f4-pt-1-3-xb630-p-71-squadron-rafg-wi.jpg

And here you are the 4 Sqn Sabre F.4 XB931 G .... you may notice that the markings of the plane that is showed in these two pics below, are different. To answer your question I would say the White G is suitable for the kite of the 4th Squadron. However if I were you I would follow the White F because she is quite well documented in pictures.

4 Sqn Sabre F4 XB931 G.jpg

4 Sqn Sabre F4 XB931 G_.jpg

Last edited:
And here you are the 4 Sqn Sabre F.4 XB931 G .... you may notice that the markings of the plane that is showed in these two pics below, are different. To answer your question I would say the White G is suitable for the kite of the 4th Squadron. However if I were you I would follow the White F because she is quite well documented in pictures.

View attachment 286167

View attachment 286165

What!? No '13'!? :shock: :lol:

I think those are Canadian built aircraft, so you would have to check the difference between those and U.S. built 86s, depending on the Marks. Can't check right now but I think the Mk.4 was similar to the -E.

Geo

EDIT: Just did a quick check, the Mk.4 was an -E but with on Orenda engine. I can get more details when I get home Wednesday morning if you want Jan. I do like the Academy version

Last edited:
Yes, they were Canadair Sabre 5's by then. One thing to check though is the serial number, as there was a mix of slatted and '6-3' wings issued. For example, XB981, 'Q', was fitted with the '6-3' wing.
The Academy 'Mig Killer' kit is probably about the best out there, and can be built OOB with the '6-3' wing. I built one in USAF Korean war colours a few years back, and have another to do as a RAF bird, and it's a very nice kit at a reasonable price.
The fuselage should be slightly wider for the Canadair Sabre, but to be honest, it would be darned difficult to tell in 1/48th scale. Also, if you wanted to do a slatted wing, although it wouldn't be 100% accurate, it could be done from the kit by engraving the slats in the closed position, which would be passable.

Sabre Mk.4
438 built, production: ten to RCAF, 428 to RAF as Sabre F4.
Sabre Mk.5
370 built, F-86F-type with Orenda engine, all to RCAF, 75 later passed to German Air Force.
Sabre Mk.6
655 built, 390 to RCAF, 225 to Luftwaffe, six to Colombia and 34 to South Africa.

Now, which would fit better for a RAF Mk. 4 Sabre, the Revell CL-13 Sabre Mk. 6, F-86F-40 or Italeri's F-86e, which comes with RAF No. 4 Squadron decals?
Was there any major external differences between the Mk. 4, 5 and 6?

Too far from my books Jan but the F-86E is the one you want for the Mk.IV. If no one answers more of your questions I can send you anything you need when I get home Wednesday.. Off hand, the Mk.V and VI used different engines than the IV but I can't recall if it affected the fuselage.

Geo

As mentioned in my previous post, the Canadair Sabre Mk5 and Mk6 had a wider fuselage, but very difficult to spot in 1/48th scale.
I'd use either the newer Revell kt, or the excellent Academy 'Mig Killer' issue kit.
To answer your question sent by text message (sorry didn't reply - 'phone had died!), as far as I know, the RAF Sabres retained the original ejection seat, and were not fitted with the MB seat. The Luftwaffe Sabres did have the MB seat though, which resulted in modifications to the canopy tracking, in order for the canopy to clear the top of the set when opened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back