Rafale passenger accidentally ejects! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why does the Rafale not give the pilot total control over the ejection option? I'm not pilot, but I've had several bucket rides over the years. The briefings for everything I've every ridden in noted that the pilot could select an option that allowed the back seat to eject independently or eject both crew members. (If the pilot chose to eject, the back seat always first ejected automatically.) So why would the Rafale pilot not have the option to set the after seat for independent ejection?

Cheers,

Dana

Maybe he did have the option but it was yet another failure in the chain of events. A crazy example of a cavalier attitude to safety that could have turned out much worse.

Why does the Rafale not give the pilot total control over the ejection option? I'm not pilot, but I've had several bucket rides over the years. The briefings for everything I've every ridden in noted that the pilot could select an option that allowed the back seat to eject independently or eject both crew members. (If the pilot chose to eject, the back seat always first ejected automatically.) So why would the Rafale pilot not have the option to set the after seat for independent ejection?

Cheers,

Dana

Maybe they do not have that option in this particular aircraft?

Also maybe it is a protocol? What if the pilot becomes incapacitated, and then the passenger is stuck in the aircraft. Using that scenario, where the pilot is the only one who can start an ejection sequence that would be a possibility.

Maybe they do not have that option in this particular aircraft?

Also maybe it is a protocol? What if the pilot becomes incapacitated, and then the passenger is stuck in the aircraft. Using that scenario, where the pilot is the only one who can start an ejection sequence that would be a possibility.

The back seat always has the option to eject - the option is whether he takes the pilot with him or not, and (IIRC) that was usually determined on the ground before the flight. If the pilot choses to eject, the back seat is always ejected first - no choice there. (Otherwise the pilot's seat rockets roast the backseater.) I was just surprised that the article suggested that the Rafale system didn't offer the choice - otherwise it would have been noted as another safety violation.

Of course, if I read French the answer might have been in the original report...

Cheers,

Dana

From what is suggested both seats should have gone.

But the pilot's seat malfunctioned and didn't go. So he landed the cabriolet on a live fired malfunctioning seat!

This is why accidents happen. Not one thing but a catalogue of nonsense. Mind boggles.

From what I read....

Pilot was unaware the passenger was not cool with the flight. So he didn't do 9g but did pull 4g on take off and -0.6 on levelling out. About same as a roller coaster. So passenger who wasn't strapped in properly was been thrown about.

Helmet and mask were not strapped and flew off during ejection.

Not noted if passenger had any cockpit familiarisation.

Both seats eject on the Rafale at same time so both pilot and rear seater can fire because it would make sense. If pilot was incapacitated or vice versa. No point firing one and not the other since any reason to do so will probably not be beneficial to stay in the cockpit.

Ejection happened during take off so jet was not high or fast.

Pilot seat should have banged but it didn't and so the pilot was able to land jet safely. The dingy on the passenger ejection seat didn't inflate.

So in a nut shell, someone in the French Air Force needs a good old fashioned beating with an iron bar.

Greece to Buy 10 Rafale Jets, Receive 8 More as 'Donation' from. France and Greece have reached an agreement for the latter to acquire 18 Rafale fighter jets of which 10 will be sold and the remaining 8 will given away as 'donation , Interesting times ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back