Random pictures from Finnish Air Force - identification help requested

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

moitias

Recruit
Nov 23, 2010
Hi!
I recently dug through the pictures of my late grandfather, who was a pilot during WW2. I decided to scan the pictures to preserve them, but had troubles identifiying some of the planes and decided to come and ask for help.

The pictures are here:
Picasa Web Albums - gigaton - Ukin Kuvat

Any information relating to the aircraft or people is most welcome!

Hi!
I recently dug through the pictures of my late grandfather, who was a pilot during WW2. I decided to scan the pictures to preserve them, but had troubles identifiying some of the planes and decided to come and ask for help.

The pictures are here:
Picasa Web Albums - gigaton - Ukin Kuvat

Any information relating to the aircraft or people is most welcome!

Hi, Nice pictures. The one you call a Yak-1 one is definitely not a Yak-1. looks like a trainer of some sort. Unfortunately, Russian a/c are not my specialty.

Not my area either, but the one in the group photo is a Pe2. Those either side of this photo, one being re-fuelled, and the one with the pilot on board, is a DH Chipmunk, a post war British / Canadian - built 2 seat primary trainer. In the first pic, the second aircraft might be a converted Fokker DXII 2 seat trainer, and the inverted aircraft is possibly a Focke Wulf Stieglitz, or the Russian -built version, I think from Petlyakov, the name / number of which escapes me!

The pic labelled "Blenheims" isn't right. The aircraft have twin tails - could be Pe-2s or, perhaps, Dorniers?

picture 1 is a Focke wulf Stiglitz not a Bristol

picture 4 is donier do17 not blenheim

picture 6 and 8 De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk

picture 10 VL Tuisku trainer

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back